Saturday, September 13, 2014

Back to Square One

Woohoo!  I have one of my two major quilts completed.

This quilt was a mystery designed by Judy Laquidara with fabrics by Vicki Welsh.  The combination, I must tell you, was fabulous.  I love the finished quilt, I loved practicing new blocks I'd never tried before, and I definitely love the colors of the fabric.  I found the hand-dyed fabric a little tricky to coordinate with the appropriate needle, but keeping my machine extra clean seemed to help as much as anything else.

The major reason it took me from December until now to quilt this lovely beast is that I could not decide what to quilt.  I tend to do all-over meanders or some such thing, but with all the borders, this quilt definitely called for something different.  But what did that mean?  Ugh!  I quilted ribbons in all the narrow borders, various motifs in the center, and two borders have prayers quilted into them for my friend.

I pieced the back out of some of my favorite grey/blue star prints.  This way, the quilt is reversible, and since the intended recipient likes blue, she can have her choice!



I'm a little sad to be giving this away, but hope she loves it as much as I do!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

It's fabulous!

Magpie Sue said...

Looks like you've done a beautiful job. Kudos on the finish! Your friend is going to cherish this quilt. <3

Plugging Away

Somehow I spent most of this week thinking it was the last week in March.  I’m glad I have another week! I have plenty of purple still to se...