Saturday, September 20, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Not So Orange

I'm afraid I'm not doing much work with just orange these days.  Since I have so many block sets ready to put together, I'm trying to get a few flimsies assembled and potentially basted in the next few weeks.

I was dismayed that, in tidying up, to make room for a sewing table for the Assistant, I discovered multiple bags of untamed scraps, left from clothes making, backings, and large prints.  Ugh.  Here I thought I was doing so well keeping up.  I guess a goal for the next few weeks will be so see how many of these bags (5?) I can tackle before the baby comes.  My cutting table is currently the coffee table, so I have to sit on the floor to cut, and I can only do that for a few minutes at a time.

I intended to have a picture of the layout for my 9s and 6s, since it includes orange, but it's rolled up in a sheet to keep it safely in order.

The Assistant chose this layout after arranging the blocks a few times.  It works for me, since this will be for one of her teachers!  I have the blocks sewn into four-patches, and over the next few weeks hope to get it to flimsy stage.

Meanwhile, next week, I want to baste my Carrie Nation top and prep it for quilting, as there's only one quilt left in my "currently quilting" pile (the "dreaded" double wedding ring quilt for my younger sister is nearing completion)!  Maybe if I'm not in too much pain (my hips are not what they were, at 37 weeks), I'll also baste this rainbow sampler.  First, though, I'll need to piece a scrappy batting.  That box that I moved with two years ago still has batting scraps.  It's time for it to go!

JoJo is safely on the mend, with stitches out on Monday and just bruising left.  So far, we've stayed inside a lot to keep him from getting the cut dirty until it heals thoroughly.  Of course, the temperatures have shot up to nearly 100 several days this week, so I'm happy to stay inside.

Be sure to check out more orange projects every Saturday this month as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

11 comments:

scraphappy said...

Beautiful layout for your sampler quilt. Tell the assistant nice job! Hope you manage to get some of your projects finished off before the big day.

Nell's Quilts said...

Love the layout for the sampler quilt. Your assistant has a great eye for design. Good luck with finishing off all those projects before the big day!

Sheila said...

I love your sampler blocks. NICE layout. Sounds like you have everyday planned before the big day.

Kathy S. said...

What an awesome teacher gift. I will be making mini's this year for my son's teachers. Love your layout!

Edith said...

This looks lovely, nice layout. Best of wishes for productivity and delivery!

Quilter Kathy said...

Gorgeous sampler block... and great layout by assistant!

Angie said...

I agree - great layout by the Assistant! Such a happy quilt!

Cathy Tomm said...

Wow I just love what you have done with your rainbow blocks. It will be a great gift, I just hope they love it too.

Cathy said...

Oh joy! And Assistant did an excellent job.

Magpie Sue said...

That teacher quilt is SO happy! Love it!

Andee said...

The RSC Sampler blocks look great with that layout! That is one lucky teacher! And tell your assistant--great job!

Stash Report Week #15

 I didn’t buy any fabric this week, so the stash report is unchanged.  I will work on assembling my New York Beauty blocks, and I need to de...