Saturday, July 4, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Rowdy Reds

The month began, as I have every month this year, with trimming down stray scraps.  I'm so glad I put this in my goals each month, as it's not terribly complicated unless it's out off for too long.  Once a month seems to be a good time frame.  This month didn't have many scraps to trim down, so I dove right into cutting and sorting my reds for my various projects.

I used every last bit of "true" red and several strips of maroon to make my eight paltry 16 patches.  I would have used more maroon, but it was all the same, and block after block of identical fabric isn't the vibe I'm going for in this quilt.  I was surprised by the lack of red.  I must have used them for something!

There were plenty of triangles for my next set of blocks, and with so few 16 patches, I've already made great headway on these.

Bits and Bobs won't make much of a showing this month either, at least with the tiny nines.  Maybe I'll get all of these out and see how outnumbered the tiny nines are!

I did finish the charm pack quilt from last month.  Spunky got her requested hearts and loops, and I have a finished baby quilt out of the deal.  The quilt is about 40" square.  I discovered a hidden stack of odd sizes (4" and 2 1/4" squares) that I think we'll use this month for another baby quilt.  Purple, blue, and grey aren't the chosen colors, but they're scraps and easy for Spunky to use, so on we go.

The Rainbow Star is in the homestretch.  Since I'm still in a "finishing" mood, this makes me happy.  I have 6 of 8 points quilted, 5 of 8 background areas, and 4 of 8 border sections.  This week I hope to wrap up another background section and a few more border areas.

My mind has been occupied with my plans for next year.  I think, instead of the same blocks every month, I'll pick a few color combos, like pink and green, and make one set of blocks of those two colors, then a different quilt from a different set of colors.  I don't know what I want in red, though.

Be sure to check out all the scrappy red projects this Saturday!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

10 comments:

Nell's Quilts said...

What a good way to start the month. I'll have to make note of that and trim down the odd bits into something useful for making blocks. Good for you thinking about next year's projects already. I've a few started and they just might be my finish up for next year.

Sharon - IN said...

That sounds like a fun little monthly challenge to use up the scraps. I've hopped over from Vicki's UFO Busting post.

scraphappy said...

Great progress on red already. It is easier when there aren't too many of a color, but it also means less variety to play with. Bittersweet progress.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your RED Bits and Bobs are coming along nicely. Have FUN!!

Sheila said...

Beautiful blocks and wonderful baby quilt.

Dasha said...

What a good idea (and what discipline!) to organise scraps once a month. Mine get left until the pile is unmanageable, and then its too daunting so it gets stuffed in the cupboard.
Well done on a pretty baby quilt.

Karen said...

Very pretty red blocks. I love the fabric colors in the charm quilt.

Deb A said...

I always start out good on the cutting scraps but seem to have lost it the last two months. Maybe I'll get back on track this month. Great progress for you and love the idea of two colored quilts. If I have lots of one color I've been known to make a quilt from the color and a cream. The baby quilt looks great - she did a wonderful job.

Scrappy quilter said...

Lovely work and lots getting done.

Kate said...

The baby quilt turned out beautifully, all those soft colors just glow.

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...