Saturday, October 10, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Muddy

We had a glorious rain Thursday night into Friday morning, so I'm quite happy with the mud outside.

Meanwhile, my design wall is a bit muddy.  There are a few 16 patches, none in brown yet.  I pulled out my 1.5" square bag and pulled together as many 16 patches as I could.  I think there are another 13 yet to stitch, including a handful in brown.  Maybe next week.

My triangle blocks are all done, so I've begun assembling the rows.  My goals for next week is to assemble the top and backing.  The backing will be bright yellow for the Assistant's teacher.

Finally, on my design wall, is my hexagon quilt.  In the bottom left corner of the quilt is the only remaining blank.  I think I have two more patches to baste and sew before I'm ready to work on assembling.  Last time, assembly is what overwhelmed me.  Some of my hexagons don't have enough seam allowance, but I didn't discover this until I had two many hexagons done to turn back.  It's tricky to keep the plastic templates in, but I'm going to persist this time.
 I finished the Assistant's scrappy Irish chain this week.  It's based of a quilt (Happily Scrappily Irish, I think) by Bonnie Hunter.  The Assistant assembled the block components, then I helped her out with assembly and quilting.  I love how it turned out (and how many scraps it ate!).  I can't say my quilting in the blank areas is all that classy, but I practiced and learned a bit, so it's all good.  This quilt is now washed and ready to give at Christmas.



I also completed another round of my grandpa's quilt.  Since it's coming entirely from stash and contains lots of brown, you might be interested in a peek at it.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Be sure to check out other brown projects!

12 comments:

scraphappy said...

So many great fall colors going on at your house. Congratulations on finishing the Irish Chain. The background fabric makes it look very planned. Glad it used up so many scraps.

Cathy said...

Congrats to the Assistant!!! and an excellent use of scraps. And good luck on the hexagons.

Kate said...

The Irish Chain turned out beautifully. I hope The Assisstant was pleased with it, she did a great job. Your hexies are looking great too. Hope you have lots of time for stitching this next week.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

The Irish Chain quilt is wonderful!

Quilter Kathy said...

Your hexagon quilt is delicious!

Edith said...

Beautiful Hexies and a lovely Irish Chain, I want to know how you took the pictures which looks like you are looking down from above? I have an image of you hanging from the light fixture.

Deb A said...

So many pretty quilts! Great job. Good luck with the hexagons.... Mine is on hold as I am not sure how it will go together..... I hand pieced mine rather than EPP.

PaulaB quilts said...

Nothing muddy here! The Irish chain is warm and comfortable. Hexies looking good. Keep up the good work!

Sheila said...

The Irish chain is one of my favorite old patterns. You quilt is beautiful!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice job on The Assistant's quilt!! What a wonderful selection of BROWN prints AND a generous gift for her teacher!!!

gayle said...

I love all your projects - especially that Irish Chain, which is one of my oldest favorite patterns. Yours is a beauty!
I also am enjoying your hexagons - can't wait to see that finish.

Jennifer said...

lots of great quilts in progress on your design wall! love the irish chain!

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...