Saturday, February 6, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Brownie Bites

How does a person eat an elephant?  One bite at a time.

That, my friends, is how I'll be tackling all of life's challenges.  JoJo has managed to gain enough strength to unbolt the front door and unhook the fridge lock (version 3.2).  I'll be spending a bit of time sitting in front of the front door until he tires of testing his newfound skill (and we install more locks).  A bite and a day at a time, right?
My saving grace is that he causes none of his problems out of spite.
He just happens to be an incredibly clever and determined nonverbal kid.
And I, who profess to dislike triangles, have wreaked havoc in my sewing world.  First, I decided to make a baby quilt for friends who are due in May.  He's a Navy officer and she was Navy until they had kids, so DH suggested navy, gold, and white for the fabrics.  I chose triangles.  Equilateral triangles.  What was I thinking?  I was thinking I wanted to use my Sidekick ruler and try it out.  Let's just sum up the experience by saying: it's not really a ruler for this leftie.  I've been piecing a row or two (or three) a day, ripping out regularly as I foul up the row ends.  All the rows are done and a few are together (and I still have pointy points!), so one bite at a time.

I forgot to mention JoJo has also mastered fabric cutting with sharp scissors as well as an accurate knowledge of where said scissors are stored.  I lost a few strips and triangles to his earnest labors.  He was so proud of helping that I hadn't the heart to scold him.  I did find a higher spot for the scissors.

Oh, the triangle foolishness doesn't end there.  My nephew, little C, who is the oldest grandchild, needs a new "Aunt Katie" quilt as he is outgrowing his old one.  I chose Odd Fellow in browns and oranges.  Holy triangles, Batman! When I crunched the numbers, I found I need over 6000 triangles.  I wanted triangle practice, and I certainly made some for myself!  Fortunately, I have no intention of either cutting or piecing all the triangles this month.  I've pulled all my scraps in the right sizes and colors and cut additional strips from my stash.  For now, I'm piecing the smaller triangles and will hope to make some units this month and later when orange shows up.  One bite at a time.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Be sure to check out all the other chocolatey inspiration!


13 comments:

Karen said...

It sounds like you have your hands full redirecting your little one and don't have time to sew. I like your triangle quilt.

Charlene S said...

One bite at a time and chew chew chew! It is the only way to eat an elephant. Good luck chewing.

Julierose said...

oh those little fingers ;--000---I remember those days...he is so cute!!
WOW you do jump into things! Sounds familiar! Somehow when I see 6,000 triangles--that 6,000 gets lost and all I see is "triangles"...in so many patterns I have done this....well, you will certainly know how to do them!! I hope you can enjoy this weekend...hugs, Julierose

Kate said...

You will certainly be the master of all things triangle when you finish both projects. Sounds like JoJo is figuring out all manner of things. Sometimes it's good that the little kids are cute.

Mari said...

I love the triangle quilt! It turned out great. When we moved into our first house, there was a slide lock at the very top of the door and we couldn't figure out why. It was so weird! Then we had kids and we figured it out. Have fun with the Odd Fellows!

gayle said...

Oh, my. I remember those days. My youngest cut dozens of holes in a sheet the day she found the scissors. And she once turned on my iron, then set it down on my big expensive cutting mat, melting an iron-sized hole clear through it. These days, she's 27 and I can now trust her around my scissors and iron... 8)
Enjoy those triangles - and you will by the time you're done with them. One bite at a time is the way to go.

Jennifer said...

wow! you're amazing!!! a devoted and patient mom, and a determined quilter, too! I think triangles make me hyperventilate. (ha!)

Cathy said...

Hi Katie! JoJo sure seems bright and full of energy. I guess that’s why we have kids when we’re young! Maybe if you get him some kiddie scissors and paper, he can cut that up to make a “quilt”? Or not. He is still young. Anyway, your triangles are looking great. You must have the patience of Job.

Cathy said...

What a luscious color combo.

Two of my kids went on a cutting spree when they were little and got hold of the scissors. They cut everything from their hair to the wicker rocking chair seat to the afghan to the plants all while I went out to hang up the clothes on the clothesline.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your Navy quilt is PERFECT!!! I, too, have a triangle project in the work. Haven't started sewing yet. Any pointers???

scraphappy said...

All your points are beautiful! Lots of practice in both of those quilts. Enjoy.

Nell's Quilts said...

Triangles make such charming patterns. You'll certainly ample practice with the triangles. Take small bites, chew and breathe between bites.

Deb A said...

I remember those days! They are smart little ones =) When we moved we had all key locks put on the doors and put the hook to hold the key at the top left side of the door. The downside - you have to use the key to lock and unlock the door. Took a couple of years before they could reach it with a chair. JoJo is adorable and a smart one. Your triangles look great to me!

Stash Report Week #15

 I didn’t buy any fabric this week, so the stash report is unchanged.  I will work on assembling my New York Beauty blocks, and I need to de...