Saturday, June 18, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Strips and Squares

The lovely thing about baby quilts is they finish so quickly!  Despite the craziness of the week (lots of activities and horribly hot weather), I basted, quilted, and bound this lovely for my SiL!  I can see one of my grays was a little too light for the backgrounds I chose, but I was trying to use stash and stay in the colors my SiL wanted, so it is what it is, eh?  The quilt finished roughly 48" square, and the triangles were all pieced by the Assistant.  She assembled a few columns, and I finished up for her.  I did the quilting, since she's not really interested in that stage of the game yet, and I bound it.  I was happy to finish up a few loved and not-so-loved fabrics out of the stash in a lovely manner.
 Then yesterday, since the above baby quilt was finished and it was too hot to work in the garden, I blasted out these blocks and sashing!  Maybe today they'll become a top, since while cooler, it will still be too hot for this lady outside.  I will, much to my dismay, need to piece a backing for this and am not really sure what I want to do.  I have oodles of fabrics in aqua, it's just which ones will be big enough!
Be sure to check out other aqua lovelies this week!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

10 comments:

Cathy said...

I love those blocks! You had a great sewing session on those. And your SIL is going to love that darling baby quilt! I hope it cools down a bit for you.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your baby quilt will be a special gift! And how fun that you had so much help with it! I love your quilt in the second picture. Do those blocks have a name?

Ivani said...

Pretty baby quilt. How fun you got some help from the assistant.
Great blocks for another beautiful quilt.

gayle said...

Love that baby quilt! Lucky baby!
And wow on those aqua blocks - so fast and so pretty!

Julierose said...

Lovely star piece--wow, all those angles--I am definitely angle challenged--you are a fast worker...hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a productive week (quilt-wise!!) Here's hoping your garden fares well in spite of the inattention.

Deb A said...

I hope it cools down for you to be able to garden. Mine needs attention tomorrow morning before it gets too hot... although I am doing a great job of growing weeds =). Your quilts are beautiful. I agree on piecing backings... not fun but I just threw 8 blocks together for a nice row on my next to quilt top. Hope it works out.

Angie said...

The baby quilt turned out wonderful! Such a neat idea to just make one large block. The aqua blocks are refreshing - they remind me of a watercolor painting.

Alison V. said...

I love those aqua blocks! :)

Kate said...

Congrats on finishing up the Carpenter Star baby quilt, it turned out beautifully. Love your aqua blocks. Those will make another cute quilt. It's nice to be sewing with cool colors when it is so hot outside.

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...