Saturday, July 23, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Not Pink

I'm not sure what happened to my week, as I clearly didn't sew much, but here it is Saturday again!

I hoped to finish all 16 blocks for my Star Burst quilt, but they do take a bit to sew, so I only managed 8.  Despite the many triangles and much trimming required by these blocks, I'm enjoying them.  I do think they will need sashing, probably in red as my blues were exhausted in the cutting.  Hopefully, I'll finish the blocks next week.  I've found one of my backgrounds is not such a nice fabric, so I think I'll be using it as a backing or giving it away, as you can see in a few blocks how it distorted.

One more applique block (in pink!) was finished this week.  I have less "sit and wait" time in the summer than during the school year, so I find two a week is not happening!

I finished by blue "Sea Breeze" quilt last Saturday evening after choosing wavy quilting.  You might remember that I alluded to the possible need for a pink and purple quilt last week.  Well, I don't need it.  My sonogram Wednesday showed I'll be having a boy, so one of the two blue quilts I made recently suffice for my newest baby's quilt!  At some point, I'll get to that quilt, but now right now.

The Assistant has made decent progress on her scrappy quilt.  We conferred as to what size she would  like, and she told me she'd like it to be big enough to snuggle with the new baby this winter.   I did a little math, and we determined she needed 300 4.5" blocks.  She has 138 done right now, and I hope she'll get all the blocks done by the end of the summer.

Be sure to check out all the other scrappy goodness this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

13 comments:

make.share.give said...

I imagine those Starburst blocks are a lot of work, but they are beautiful!

LA Paylor said...

Hi there, just dropping by to see what you're making this week.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on the new little bundle. (I was right, I was right!! tee hee) VERY sweet that The Assistant wants her quilt to be big enough to snuggle with the baby. Give her a hug for me and tell her what a good big sister she is!!

gayle said...

Congrats! And hoping the Assistant reaches her goal!
Those Starburst blocks are beautiful - the quilt is going to be spectacular!

Quilter Kathy said...

Congrats on the baby news... very exciting!
LOVE these stars blocks!

Mari said...

Congratulations on the new baby! The starburst blocks may not be pink, but they are gorgeous. Going to be a beautiful quilt. And the idea of 300 blocks makes me tired just thinking about it! Good luck to your Assistant.

Chantal said...

Wonderful news Katie! Congratulations!
Your star blocks are wonderful. Too bad that the background fabric doesn't want to behave. Good luck with the goals, to you and the assistant. ;^)

Cathy said...

The Starbursts are bursting with beauty. Congrats on the baby boy. And I hope Assistant reaches her quilty goal.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Congratulations on your baby news! It's so fun to hear that big sister wants to make her own quilt to snuggle the baby in! I love your Starburst blocks - they are a great color combination!

Deb A said...

Congrats on the new little one to come. Love that the assistant wants a quilt she can snuggle with her new baby brother with.

Julie in GA said...

Starburst is a perfect name for those blocks, and yours are beautiful!
Congratulations on the new baby boy. That's so sweet that your daughter wants to make a quilt to snuggle with the baby.

Anonymous said...

Those blocks look fabulous. How wonderful to be expecting ... second hand is best!

Vicki in MN said...

Is this your own pattern or where can I find it?

Stash Report Week #15

 I didn’t buy any fabric this week, so the stash report is unchanged.  I will work on assembling my New York Beauty blocks, and I need to de...