Saturday, April 29, 2017

Multicolor Madness

My quilting time focused on this (finished) quilt this week.  I'm calling it Hope, and it's for my younger sister, who needs an extra hug or two right now.  A snuggly quilt will have to do, since I'm eight to ten hours away by car.
 This was made of a jelly roll of batiks paired with a lovely yellow background.  Multicolor fabrics usually make me queasy in trying to organize them by color, so I firmly told myself there would be no color pairing happening!  I kept the blocks completely random, partly by dividing the strips into sets (I had enough for three sets), then keeping each set separate from the others so even if a color were to pool in 1/3 of the quilt, it can't be all of that color for the entire quilt.  (Somehow, that doesn't quite relay what I'm trying to say, but I think your quilty minds will figure it out!)

I love the backing, which is full of "God" words, like Holy Bible, heaven, God, etc.  I quilted with unmarked straight lines in Xs through all the background fabric squares, which is twice the quilting I originally intended.  I decided it needed more when I finished all the lines in one direction.  I still love sixteen-patches/
 These four Bits and Bobs blocks brings my needed total down to ten.  Ten tiny blocks stand between me and insanity of laying out the blocks for the flimsy.  When that happy day comes, I shall need to send Miss G away to my mom for the day, else the order will never stay!
from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Check out all the multicolor loveliness this Saturday!

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Love how you used the yellow for those batiks--they shine through beautifully! And your little blocks are so cute hugs, Julierose

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like it and I am sure your sister will love it . That backing is really cool!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree with Julierose - I love how you used the yellow for those batiks - it's perfect! Your backing and the quilting in only the background squares finishes it off nicely - your sister will surely love it - and give her an extra hug for me. Your bits and bobs is really cute - love all of the colors you used - ;))

Mari said...

I'm sure your sister will love this beautiful quilt--and think of you every time she uses it! I agree with the others on the yellow choice, too!

Deb A said...

What a beautiful quilt for your sister. It turned out beautiful - a wonderful quilt hug.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on completing the HUG for Hope. Interesting technique used to prevent pooling! LOVE the fact that only TEN blocks stand between you and laying out your OMG quilt. Go, Katie, go!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The quilt for your sister is beautiful, and such a sweet gift. I love simple patchwork like that! Happy to hear you are getting close on your Bits and Bobs, too!

Charlotta said...

Great quilt! Sometimes, the very simple things are the best!

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...