Saturday, July 22, 2017

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Faded

This week was another crazy one.  With temperatures over 100 every day, I spent lots of time giving fresh water to chickens, trying to weed and walk early in the morning, and not die of heat exhaustion.  (No heat exhaustion.  I was careful!)  I also filtered honey, melted honeycomb, and cleaned destroyed bee hive frames.

It was also DH's birthday this week, so plenty of busy-ness there.
I did manage to sew up my hourglass blocks.  Funny thing, I've robbed the blue stack so often to fill in other months that there was little blue left this month!  I couldn't count again, so I made 21 instead of 20.

The baby quilt is quilted, but I think I'll wait until next week to reveal it, once I've bound it.  I will share that Joyful was right last week when I said it was 39" square.  When I was sewing it together, I had counted the number of pairs of rows, which was 13, and multiplied that by the finished size of 3".  But... 3" is the size of one row, not a pair of rows!  The quilt is 57" square. (No, that's not twice 39.  Obviously, 13 wasn't the right number either.  There were 19 rows.)  Somewhere, my math failed me.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Look at all the fabulous blues this weekend!

10 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I had to go back and read last week's post, about the baby quilt, which I must have missed! Your yellow and blue stars are so pretty - what a great color combination, no matter what size it turned out! It has been hot here, too - so wishing us all some cool temperatures in the coming week.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Love the hourglass blocks. That's so funny that you are low on blues for the blue month! I don't think I will ever run out of blue scraps!

Monica said...

I think you did well to sew anything this week! Great job. :D

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm glad to hear that you are being careful in the extreme heat. Makes total sense to do the outside chores as early as possible. Resourceful you even found some time to sew in your busy schedule. Happy birthday, Mr. Z!

Thanks for the shout out, Katie. I looked back and didn't see anything in my comment about the sizing. Must have been part our after-comment dialog. No worries, either way since there are PLENTY of days that I can't math right!! LOL

Deb A said...

Hehe.... Sounds like it is the perfect size baby quilt either way. Glad you are taking care in the heat. Happy birthday to hubby.

Mari said...

What happened is that it was far too hot for you to figure the size correctly. Happens to me all the time. We've been over 100 too, and the rain has not helped. Happy birthday to your hubby!

Teresa said...

I could have sent you some blues that is what I have the most of. Love your hour glass blocks!

Kathy S. said...

Can't go wrong with hourglass units

Cathy said...

I love quilts with nice simple units like the hourglass.

No a/c here so I weed early in the morning too and process the bounty late in the evening.

make.share.give said...

Busy Busy! I weeded last night. It was in the 60s so we even had a fire in the fire pit.

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...