Saturday, August 19, 2017

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Missing Neutrals

This week has been a tumult of school preparation, last minute summer adventures, and schedule adjustments.  The morning school started, I also picked up our new meat chicks from the post office, creating even more insanity than already existed.  Next week should be calmer, as we'll finally have a "normal" week (except for the eclipse.  That could be a crazy Monday.)

I eked out time for my mini 9s and ironing the Garden Party blocks.  They are, sadly, mostly lacking in neutrals.

After a week away, I've struggled to return to my Bits and Bobs.  Clipping, pinning, and sewing rows are not my favorite sewing tasks.  I have my five rows sewn and pressed, so I less than half the rows left to pin and sew.  The assembly of the rows, despite the tedious method of them, does make me so happy.

The alphabet quilt also had its share of time under my needle.  I'm delighted to have the flimsy finished.  Meanwhile, my backing is 3" short in width of being wide enough, so I'll have to decide what can be done to manage.

Ah, neutrals.  I wiped out my neutrals in my 2.5" strip bin in cutting my hourglass, so I've been sewing with them all year, leaving few this month.  In my mini 9s, I have a few black and white and neutrals, but I've also used up all those in my Bits and Bobs block.  My Garden Party blocks have neutrals in the corners and were in the alternate blocks.

I love all the blocks I've seen over at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge hub, soscrappy, that have only neutrals, so I think next year, should they show up again, I need to find a project I can actually use them in, alone, without colorful compatriots!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

11 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love how the yellow section of your Bits and Bobs looks full of light in the photo. No matter when it gets together, it's going to be a gorgeous quilt! That is my least favorite part of quilt construction, too. Looks like you've gotten all kinds of things accomplished this week, Katie!

Deb A said...

Such great progress all around! How about any leftover blocks or units down the middle for the backing? Just a thought.

scraphappy said...

You are making great progress on so many fronts. The Bits and Bobs are SO close. Having enough neutrals can be tricky. They go with everything and get used up quickly.

PaulaB quilts said...

The square in a square blocks are my favorite. You've come a long way with the Bits and Bobs. Don't worry about the neutrals. You have enough on your plate, and soon with chicks to care for. Keep up the good work!

Marly said...

I'm amazed at the tiny pieces you've used in your bits and bobs quilt, but now it's growing into a rainbow it's really stunning!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Bits and Bobs, as well as Alphabet Soup transformed into FABULOUS quilt tops. Congrats!! Stand alone LIGHT NEUTRALS are quite the challenge for the RSC. Maybe next year...

Angie said...

Bits & Bobs and the Alphabet quilt are looking mighty good!

Monica said...

Bits & Bobs is going to be spectacular! I'm thinking that next year I need something with tiny pieces like that too. Already planning!

Chantal said...

Love your projects. Bits and Bobs is awesome. I'm not a fan of sewing long rows either. I try to sew the blocks in quadrants as often as I can, depending if the quilt allows it. You manage to do so much, even with a houseful. You're amazing! ;^)

sunny said...

Your Bits and Bobs is beautiful!! I'm always on the lookout for a new block for next year.

Edith said...

Your bits and bob is spectacular, and I really like your mini nines, what a great idea.

Plugging Away

Somehow I spent most of this week thinking it was the last week in March.  I’m glad I have another week! I have plenty of purple still to se...