Saturday, November 18, 2017

Mud or Mocha

In reality, I’m not a coffee drinker (ever), so I’d choose mud over mocha.  The only brown scrappy work I managed this week was sorting the last of the brown strip sets for nine-patches.  If I’m fortunate, I’ll sew them up before my sister and family arrive for the holidays.  Given our current run of luck, I’m not expecting much!

I worked hard finishing things this week.  First, mini 9s survived the wash with no bleeding, so it’s rolled up and ready to go.  I love all it’s crinkly goodness.  My 2.5” bin has been thinning out as I’ve been using it for binding for all these quilts.  I realized it’s silly to cut into stash for a one-color binding on a scrappy quilt, so the scrappy strips are coming out to play.


My Garden Party blocks touches neither sewing machine nor pins this week, so there was no progress there.  Instead, I tackled scrappy letters for a cousin and used some of my orphan blocks to create a scrappy pocket for an apron.


Once I had my three finishes, I tackled my blocks for the Magnolia Mystery.  Pressing the seams open takes time and is not my normal method, but I’ve done it so far.  I need this blocks done and put away by Tuesday afternoon, so I’ve kept at them.


Finally, I have a plan for the remaining orphan blocks.  Once I have the units on my wall complete, I have a plan for alternating blocks.  I even chose a fat quarter for the backing and some 2.5” strips for the binding, as I have a doll quilt in my mind for my youngest niece.

Next up, preparing for family to come for Thanksgiving and children recovering from a stomach bug (ack!).  Be sure to check out finishes, flimsies, and dark blocks this weekend.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

4 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on your Mini 9's surviving the spin cycle. I like the richness your muddy BROWN scraps add to the completed quilt. Hope everyone is feeling better before the relatives arrive for Turkey Day!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sounds like you've been busy, in more ways than one! Mini nines is looking great! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Katie!

Magpie Sue said...

A scrappy quilt calls for a scrappy binding! Mini 9's looks great - well done! I hope you have a peaceful Thanksgiving.

Kate said...

The Mini 9's turned out beautifully. Good luck getting your Magnolia Mystery blocks done before company shows up. Hope you can find some time to stitch here and there during all the prep work.

Stash Report Week #15

 I didn’t buy any fabric this week, so the stash report is unchanged.  I will work on assembling my New York Beauty blocks, and I need to de...