Saturday, January 20, 2018

Inspirational Scraps

If I had enough scraps of these colors, or wanted to cut into stash, or had less scraps of other colors (or, or, or...), I would blissfully create an entire quilt of these 16 patches in just these colors.  Yes, yes, I would.

Not this year, however, as I will be adding blues, teals, greens, maybe greys, and purples before the end of the year.  57 blocks is not a bad way to start the year!

Additionally, I’ve made the first blocks for a churn dash quilt.  This quilt threw me for a tizzy, as I wrote in my notes that I’d use 2.5” scraps, but once I tackled the math, I realized that would make a queen-size quilt, which is not what I want.  2” will do nicely.  I don’t know if I made enough blocks this month, but I figure the end of the year will provide me with time to make more if needed.  This round I used each fabric only once, and tested what length of fabric I need to make an entire block (at least 123" for the churn part).  Next month will be easier!

Sometimes, I wish I could make a quilt out of all my blocks each month, just one color each.  Each time other bloggers post their month’s blocks, I find so much inspiration!  I have much to sew.

I’m out of planned blocks for the month, so I’ve gone back to my scraps and planned a few more Stained Glass Stars for next week.  Meanwhile, I’ve started on my son’s requested dragon quilt.  It’s all 2” scraps, and awfully fiddly, and too much to complete in a month.

Before I forget... Be sure to check out all the really fabulous blue blocks as well as recent finishes this weekend.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

8 comments:

scraphappy said...

You got so much done with your blues. This would be an easy color for a monochromatic quilt, but there are many colors to come.

Katie said...

57 blocks? That could nearly be an entire blue quilt! (But I, too, feel the urge to make an entire one-color quilt each month after seeing all the inspiring photos...maybe someday...) Great blocks and good luck with the fiddly dragon!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those 16 patches are beautiful, Katie! I would like an entire quilt out of them, too- so calming and restful!

Vicki said...

I like those blocks as they are, but I think the colors you plan on adding will be fabulous!

Kate said...

You've got a great start on your blocks. I really like the 16 patch set, those would make a very restful quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those are great blocks - glad you did the math before jumping in... I sorta forget that part ;-)

Angie said...

I can see why you'd want to make a quilt in just the colors of your 16 patches - they look like fun!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Katie, you are an RSC rock star!! I want to swim in that peaceful sea of BLUE 16-Patch blocks. I would gladly change my home decor to accommodate the resulting quilt!!

Stash Report Week #15

 I didn’t buy any fabric this week, so the stash report is unchanged.  I will work on assembling my New York Beauty blocks, and I need to de...