Saturday, February 17, 2018

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Violaceous Scraps

When your week involves a death and funeral for a seven-year-old, you just roll the best you can. (Not my own child.  A little boy from my children’s school passed away from brain cancer.)

In the meantime, to keep myself busy, I've been piecing and ironing.  I don't love to press, but, oh, I pressed.  First, lots and lots of churn dashes.  I'm really happy with this collection.
I also finished a hand pieced hexagon block, finally.  I'll start basting a purple one next.  This quilt is certainly not a race, so I'm not worried.

The bulk of sewing this week focused on my red and tan/white Ohio Star quilt.  It was inspired by this quilt by Red Pepper Quilts.  I'm currently calling it "Tell Colette I Love Her," since it's for my goddaughter and niece who LOVES red and has a birthday next week.  It was the perfect month for this project number to be drawn, and if I'm really, really quick with the quilting, I can have it done to send for her birthday!  I have it basted, as my pointer finger will attest.  The backing, which is peeking out at the bottom of the picture, had to be soaked first, a la Vicki Welsh.  It bled badly the first soaking, but not the second, so I anticipate few issues when I soak the finished quilt.

PK wanted to be in the picture (or he wanted the camera), so say hi!

When you have a free moment, you should check out all the other delicious violaceous scrap projects over at Soscrappy this and every Saturday.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.


13 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Sorry for the kid's family... For happier comment, your Churn blocks are just amazing, beautifully mixed! Hi to your kid ;)

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

I love the purple churn dashes and the red and white quilt...and PK is a cutie too! I'm so sorry for the loss of such a young child.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That would be a tough week to get through - hugs to you, Katie! Your purple blocks are so pretty, and the red and white quilt is beautiful! That sounds like the perfect gift for your niece.

Mari said...

Gosh, what an awful thing, Katie. That poor family. But on a happier note, your projects look wonderful. Good luck finishing up that quilt!

Sarah said...

Such a tragedy in one so young! Lovely projects on the go though. Xx

Vicki W said...

I feel awful for that child's family. Like you, I find really mundane tasks to be good therapy during weeks like you've had. Love all of the purple churn dash blocks!

Ivani said...

It is so hard when children loss theis battel against cancer, I'm so sorry...
You have beautiful churn dash blocks to play and I love the white and red quilt and PK is a cute baby. ♥

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

So sorry to hear about that little boy - it's hard to wrap your head around something like that. Mindless sewing is my therapy, too. Your "Violaceous" churn dash blocks are gorgeous - and PK is a cutie - ;))

The Joyful Quilter said...

Beautiful progress during such a sad week.

Angie said...

Sorry to hear your sad news - thank goodness we have Fabric Therapy to help us cope. LOVE the purple churn dash blocks and the two color Ohio Star is gorgeous!

Kate said...

Your Churn Dash blocks turned out beautifully. Good luck finishing off your beautiful Ohio Star quilt. Hope the kids are coping OK with the loss of one of their peers. It's so sad when it happens to one so young.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ugh,,,, hugs all around - its so hard when they are so young. your purples look great

Nanette said...

i hope you're getting through the sad time ok, so hard for the family. I love your purple churn dashes, and quite a coincidence, my RSC this year is churn dashes....I had a few blue that I started last year, so thought I might as well keep going and have been making purple ones for this month. I missed the link up to post them this week as I was away, so next week there'll be purples to see.

Stash Report Week #11 and 15 Minutes

 I finished my box blocks quilt this week, so the stash report is back in the area I prefer it to be.  I love to buy new fabric, but I am sp...