Saturday, May 26, 2018

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Changes

Summer break started with a sick kid and an early afternoon downpour.  We’re grateful for the rain, and it’s nice when expectations can only go up!

My arm is finally settling down, and fingers are moving better.  My middle finger is recalcitrant, but I keep stretching and light weightlifting to strengthen muscles.  Slow progress is being made.



Meanwhile, I’m approaching a “caught up” status on my scrap projects.  (UFOs are another matter, but progress is progress!). This week, after some waylaid garment sewing, I’m chugging away on my Stained Glass Stars.  Two are done, missing points and mismatched patches and all.  I did improve my cutting this round, but I can see my piecing leaves a bit to be desired.  My hand tires easily, so it's not always quick to keep things accurate.

I hope to finish the pink and yellows before the end of the month, and then I will ponder how to quilt the long-delayed dragon quilt for my son.  Try quilting for each color, or a simple all-over meander?  In the meantime, I'm using pieces for my Christmas Blackford Beauty blocks as leader-enders.  It's exciting to know that once I finish the green set of these, I'm ready to assemble blocks!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Be sure to check out all the pink projects!

11 comments:

Mari said...

So glad your hand is getting better! Gosh, I do love those stained glass stars. They're so pretty! Good luck with the dragon quilt!

scraphappy said...

Your slow and steady seems to move faster than normal speed for most people. Great looking blocks. Nobody will notice mismatched seams except you.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

When I broke my wrist and needed to do some light weight lifting, I used a full water bottle and it worked great! Glad you're progressing. I think your stars are so pretty!

Deb from Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Glad the hand is getting better and any progress is good! :) Those stars are stunning.

Quilter Kathy said...

Absolutely... any progress is welcome! The pink blocks are so pretty!

The Joyful Quilter said...

GORGEOUS Stained Glass Stars!! Remember, dear Katie, perfection is overrated. Sorry to hear summer break started with a sick kid! Is that Little P in the picture or JoJo?! Hoping for a quick fix for the illness (and that it's not something to make its rounds through the family.)

JanineMarie said...

Hurrah for you finding ways to quilt, or at least sew, with a bum hand. Quilters are a persistent, resilient group! I love how you have figured out how to do things in a new way. Hang in there! It does get better with time.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Hope you will have your full hand soon, but you did well with all these blocks!

Vicki W said...

I'm so glad you are doing so much better!

Kate said...

Gald to hear that your hand is getting better. Yeah for managing safety pins! It's the little victories that help maintain your sanity with the recovery process. When the SIT was recovering from surgery to fix the torn ACL, she was miserable. It seemed like forever before she was back to normal. Wishing you lots of patience and lots of sewing sanity time as you finish the recovery process.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

those stained glass blocks are beautiful! Gald you are on the mend

Plugging Away

Somehow I spent most of this week thinking it was the last week in March.  I’m glad I have another week! I have plenty of purple still to se...