Saturday, November 17, 2018

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Positivity

This week, I hustled through getting the blocks into a flimsy for this quilt.  I had high hopes that, if I could quilt it before late Thursday morning, I could machine sew on the binding and have the hand binding for the drive to my grandfather's funeral.
I paired this plus quilt with a backing full of positive phrases.  Despite breaking my backup sewing machine (sigh.  I need a new non-computerized brand of sewing machine.  Suggestions?), I did quilt the entire project and sewed on the binding.

As it would turn out, I didn’t do much hand sewing, so it’s not quite done, but it was nice to have along for a few spare moments.

It was good to gather with my family to remember my grandpa and to support my mom in her loss.  All but one brother were able to come, including another brother I haven’t seen in two years.  DH manfully handled the kids during the funeral luncheon so we could have a good visit.

After the lunch, the entire family visited some dear old friends.  We took shifts, as one of sisters, in her late 90s, is dying and we didn’t want to overwhelm.  I am glad we had an opportunity to say goodbye, if that’s the case, and to introduce all our kids.

I hope today, other than endless loads of laundry, I can finish the plus quilt and have a little blog reading time!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

7 comments:

Kate said...

So sorry to hear of your grandfather's death. It sounds like it was a good visit. you pulled that plus quilt together really quickly, hopefully it will be finished off soon.

Vicki W said...

Sounds like your family made the best of a sad situation. As for sewing machines, the Juki TL series are workhorses. I have TL98E that's about 20 years old and has been serviced only once! I'd get one of the newer ones with a couple of extra features but I'm emotionally bonded with this one.

scraphappy said...

So sorry to hear about your granddad. Glad that you were able to reconnect with some family though.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wedding and funerals are often the only chance we get to see family when we're scattered across the country. I'm glad you had some comforting handwork with you, as you celebrated your grandfather's life. Here's hoping that you find time to complete the binding on Positivity over the weekend.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm sorry about your grandpa, Katie. Glad you got to go and be with your family, though. Your plus quilt is wonderful! That's a great idea for scrappy blocks - and so nice to have a finish, too!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather, Katie - but glad that you were able to visit with your family and friends. The Assistant made a good start on her quilt - and it has turned out quite nicely. As far as sewing machines are concerned - my two oldest ones are mechanical - but my newer ones (Brother) are computerized. I got them at Walmart for about $200 - they have all the bells and whistles - and even come with all of the "feet" you would ever need. I'm not sure they even make non-computerized ones anymore - haven't seen one in years - ;))

Cathy said...

My condolences on the loss of your grandfather.

I know what you mean about computerized machines. I have one but it needs repair constantly. I have an old Sears Kenmore I've had since the 70s as my backup machine. I used to make all the family clothes, curtains, etc. on it and it still works like a dream.

Stash Report Week #15

 I didn’t buy any fabric this week, so the stash report is unchanged.  I will work on assembling my New York Beauty blocks, and I need to de...