Saturday, January 19, 2019

Complementary Sewing

I finished putting the right-hand wings on my star points, and I'll do the rest another month.
In my scrappy plans for the year, I planned to make two blocks a month from Elizabeth Hartman’s Lepidoptera pattern.  Of course, this couldn’t be a simple plan... First, I don’t carry large quantities of a single background fabric in my stash, and this needed 5+ yards, I think.  I had three of my glow in the dark white, so I began with that, found and ordered a little more, and have been happy with my choice.  I do find that the patterned side is pretty subdued, so at some point,

I will surely sew wrong sides to right and have a funny piece when you see it in the dark!

I’m using a half-yard package of V and Co.’s Confetti Ombré for the blocks.  This is the fabric I bought last April to reward myself for each day’s physical therapy during recovery from broken hand bones.  I want this fabric used in something glorious.  But here’s the issue: there’s no red in this collection!  Instead, I made a complementary green butterfly and a tan one.

The final issue for now (besides the fabric waste, which I avoid in general) was probably the easiest to resolve.  Since the butterflies are different sizes, it was necessary to plan, definitively, where each fabric was going.  It took several rounds of fiddling, adjusting, photographing, and rearranging to get it right, but I think I’m happy with the current plan.  Now I need to hunt down the picture (it’s not on my iPad, so it must be on a camera).  Most months I’ll make two, except for the month I make the center, large butterfly.

I have some additional complementary sewing for the month.  Let’s see where I am with this pixelated nonsense next week!

My final sewing for the week has actually been red.  These are my little units for Garden Mosaic.  I have one more stack by the machine, but I used a good pile of 2” scraps on this.

Next week I’ll be sewing up the tiny blocks hosted by Soscrappy.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

P.S.  Be sure to check out the red projects this weekend!

7 comments:

Cathy said...

You’ve got some fun projects going! Lepidoptera is lovely so far, and it’s going to be fun watching this one develop. Or morph...

Chantal said...

I've just hopped over at Elizabeth's blog to see what is Lepidoptera. OH! WOW! That's a gorgeous quilt. I love your choice of fabric for this project. Too bad there's no red. I'm sure you will find something that works. You always have such great ideas to fix mishaps like that. Enjoy the sewing. ;^)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice job on sewing up a stack of RED scrap! I'll be looking forward to seeing your Butterfly Quilt open its wings... er... progress toward a completed top. :o))

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That butterfly quilt is going to be fabulous! I'll have to go check out the pattern, too. I love your red Garden Mosaic blocks - different reds and neutrals together make such a great effect!

scraphappy said...

So many fun plans, and red too! Great progress this month

Ellen said...

I just checked out Lepidoptera and I see that you are going to have a gorgeous quilt! Looks like lots of good things are happening in your sewing room. :)

Kate said...

Love the butterflies! That's project has been on my bucket list, I'll probably never get to it, so it will be fun to watch your version come together. You've been moving along on your projects this month. You'll make your goal of using more 30 yards more then you purchase.

Plugging Away

Somehow I spent most of this week thinking it was the last week in March.  I’m glad I have another week! I have plenty of purple still to se...