Saturday, March 16, 2019

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Scant Sewing

Spring Break began last Friday for my children.  By Monday, we were on a plane to Phoenix (yes, all 8 of us and my parents too!).  Tuesday, we drove up to the Grand Canyon, where we experienced a mighty snowstorm and saw only snippets of the epic views.  Wednesday, we headed back to Phoenix since the park was functionally closed.  In driving back, we encountered a few miles of whiteout conditions; I’m grateful my husband is an excellent driver.  Thursday, we saw the sights as well as my brother, who teaches at Tempe State.  Friday, we were back on a plane, and now we are home.  Since Daylights Savings Time began the day before we left, and then we shifted two hours back, I don’t think anyone in the house has any idea what time it ought to be!
This is one of DH's photos, which look nothing like mine.  Now I need to figure out how to get all mine off my phone and onto my computer!
Before we left, Sunday and Monday morning, I worked hard to get some sewing in.  Then, Friday, after we got home, I hustled through unpacking and starting laundry so I could sneak in a few minutes of sewing.  Unfortunately, so far today hasn't yielded much free time, as I'm still trying to write this blog post!

I finished the first Lepidoptera block for the month.  This one required serious surgery, as I somehow sewed the bottom half of each wing in backward and didn't discover it until I'd sewn the entire block.  It remains a bit thready, but I'll address that later.

The fabrics are cut for the second, and I hope it goes a little more smoothly than the first!

Next, I finished the pale teal green 16-patches.  The darker teal blocks are pinned into halves, so this weekend I'll hopefully finish them as well.

Finally, after our returns, I struggled through the center of my chubby pinwheels block.  It looks like I should have trimmed the little pinwheels before I assembled them, as they were too large for the expected measurements.  I eased them into place, and I think once the edges are in it will be okay.  Why don't I learn not to hurry?

This week, if all goes well, I'll sew together the last few chubby pinwheels as well as the 16-patches.  Finishing this by the end of March may be a challenge!

What are your plans for the weekend?  How are your green blocks developing?  Be sure to visit the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for more inspiration!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

9 comments:

Mari said...

Well, that sounds like it was an exciting adventure! We took our kids to some fun places, but the ones they remember best are the disasters. This will just be a fun family store. Love your green blocks! The butterfly looks great after its surgery.

Jo said...

Your butterfly block is a very pretty design. I'm glad you got it all right way up.

The Joyful Quilter said...

DH's Grand Canyon photo is AMAZING (as is the amount of progress made on your projects since you returned home!!)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sounds like you were heading into Phoenix just as we were heading home! I've seen the Grand Canyon in the snow and it is beautiful - but not so much the driving. Glad you made it back into Phoenix for some sightseeing! Your green projects are looking great - especially that butterfly!

Jo said...

I like the chibby pinwheels better than regular pinwheels and will add them to my bucket list!

Cathy said...

It seems that there are several of us RSCers who’ve had Arizona vacations already this year! Glad you made it home safely. Your greenprojects are lovely and striking. That butterfly is amazing, and your fabric choice is perfect!!

Melodie said...

The only time we took our kids to the Grand Canyon it was completely fogged in and we saw nothing. The kids had a great time having a snowball fight st the top anyway, even without a view!

Kate said...

Sounds like an adventurous spring break trip! Hope everyone is back in school and healthy so you can work in a bit more stitching time. Love the chubby pinwheel project.

Vicki W said...

Oh my gosh, we missed each other at the Grand Canyon by exactly 6 days! We just barely got into Denver and the ski areas before that storm hit Colorado. By the time we left for Flagstaff the weather was perfect. You took quite a whirlwind trip!

Stash Report Week #15

 I didn’t buy any fabric this week, so the stash report is unchanged.  I will work on assembling my New York Beauty blocks, and I need to de...