Saturday, September 19, 2020

Cooler Days

 By now, before I tell you if or what I was able to sew for the week, I sum up our life.  Buckle up, it’s a good one.  Monday, I dragged the recycling down to the street and splashed a bit of dew onto my glasses.  Therefore, I took off my glasses and pulled up the bottom of my shirt to dry said glasses, which promptly snapped in half on the bridge.  I am so grateful that I had, a few months ago, ordered a cheap backup pair from GlassesUSA. They’re wonderful, and yes, I ordered a new backup pair.

Tuesday, BJ spiked a fever of 103 and later, 106.  After two hours at the doctor, a strep test, a CoVid test, and a chest X-ray, he was diagnosed with pneumonia.  I am, again, so grateful that he doesn’t have CoVid.  He has ridden in the car a few times in the last six months, but quite literally not been in any stores or high population areas.

We tried to bake muffins Tuesday night to have for breakfast the next morning.  I knew there was a chance BJ start struggling to breathe, and I would have to take him to the ER, but I didn’t want the kids to think the world was ending.  I set my oven to 400.  When smoke began trickling out of the oven, I assumed it was because DH had cooked pizza on Saturday and a bit stuck to the racks.  Alas, my oven broke and was superheating to self-cleaning temperatures, so I ruined a muffin tin, silicone cupcake holders, and muffins.  We figured it out before they completely burst into flames, so all’s well that ends well.

So... I did sew, if only to set aside my worries for a while.  My first quilt is now, after 20 odd years, quilted with straight lines on either side of the block seams.  The backing is green and red, a step calmer than the chaos of the old backing but a step crazier than my current normal of single color backings.  I am working on the binding this weekend.


Before and after the quilting, I began row assembly for my Garden Party quilt.  I’m quite chuffed with myself on the green ombré pattern that I planned myself and successfully executed.  This is going to be a great quilt.  I did realize this week I don’t have a fabric for the wide border, but I’ll sort the stash later.


The East Breezy blocks in red are coming along nicely.

I’ll be linking up to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this weekend.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis, katie z. 

11 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm so sorry to hear about BJ - I hope he gets a little bit better each day! And your stove/oven is a big "oh no!" It never rains, but it pours... On the positive side, Garden Party is looking wonderful!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow, Katie! No words for the week you had. Glad to hear that you were able to sew for a little while. Both projects on the design wall are looking good!

Mari said...

Okay, that's an eventful week! I hope everyone is well now and you are finishing up some projects in a little calmer mode. And are you getting a new stove? That would be a pick me up for me! Hope this next week is not nearly as exciting!

Vicki W said...

Wow, that is a wild week! You are due for some boredom but I don't think that ever happens around your home. 😁

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

wow you have had quite the week - why does that happen at times - it has happened here now and then too when it is one thing on top of another - I hope the the boy gets better soon!

scraphappy said...

I hope that everyone is feeling better soon. Glad to hear it wasn't Covid! Love the way that the Garden Party quilt is coming together. It is beautiful.

Deb A said...

Oh my, you have had quite a week! I hope the fever is down and he is better. Never good when the oven dies. Hope it is fixable quickly. Hope the fabric therapy helped calm the nerves a bit.

Jenny said...

What a week you've had, I do hope your little boy gets well soon. It's a shame you have such busy life, because you could probably do with a lie down to recover!

sue s said...

Wow! What a week! Glad you caught the stove before it was too late. I hope the little one is doing better, and I LOVE the ombre in Garden Party!!

grammajudyb said...

I’m hoping that BJ is on the mend! And that you are feeling back in control. Sorry about your oven. Is it repairable or beyond repair? I would imagine you have given that appliance a workout! Good work on Garden Party. It’s going to be fabulous!

Tomas said...

Never a dull moment is there! Muffin baking is how my daughters are dealing with the 'rona and pre-teen angst. There would be soooo many tears if a batch got ruined by the oven.

Stash Report Week #15

 I didn’t buy any fabric this week, so the stash report is unchanged.  I will work on assembling my New York Beauty blocks, and I need to de...