Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Finished Quilt: Double Wedding Ring

Oh, the endless quilt.  I finished cutting it on April 10, 2012, shortly before we put our house on the market, packed up my sewing room, and morning sickness kicked in.


After giving myself a kick in the pants (and feeling guilty about the lingering project), I finished piecing this top on September 25, 2013.  This is a quilt for my younger sister, who takes care of photographing my family, etc., so I really wanted to finish it.  The quilting started and... Guess what?   I happily was pregnant again, and between that and the summer's heat, I stopped quilting, 20 blue rings from the end. I also had JoJo spill water on it and leave it on a paper with washable marker.  The stained corner was depressing.  And the backing was a 1/2" too small in places... big enough problem to need fixing, small enough to be obscenely tedious.

Now, with my due date approaching, I really felt compelled to finish off this UFO.  Other than a few long-term projects that I'm still saving fabric for, this is my oldest UFO.  I began quilting, not letting my sister know, in case I failed at a finish (AGAIN!).  This time, however, I seemed to hit a groove.  I was careful not to set my expectations too high.  I just wanted to finish by midOctober.  Sure enough, with low expectation, I was able to whip out the quilting a few weeks ahead of schedule, finishing September 24, 2014 (almost exactly a year since it became a flimsy!).

The binding.  Oh, curved binding.  I tried to get fancy, made a mess, and probably pulled the binding a little tight in places.

Still, the stains washed out, the binding is on, the quilting is complete, and I love it.  I certainly hope my sister does too.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

It's lovely and congrats on finishing it! I know your sister will love it and if she doesn't I'll be you sister!

Alzbeta said...

Oh, my! It is absolutely beautiful... worth the wait and more. You are truly the best, Katie, and I'm so lucky to have you as a big sister!

Kate said...

Congrats on the finish! It turned out beautifully!

Marly said...

Lucky Sister! Congratulations on a terrific finish; your colour choice is perfect for this design.

Stash Report Week #15

 I didn’t buy any fabric this week, so the stash report is unchanged.  I will work on assembling my New York Beauty blocks, and I need to de...