Saturday, May 28, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Slighty Off Color

I've made great progress on my Twinkler Stars this week, with 11 finished and 12 more simply awaiting final assembly.  As I sorted out the last blocks from the bottom of the box, where they'd been nestled since December 2015, imagine my surprise to find I'd cut not 63 blocks but 80!  I guess I won't be finishing all these blocks like I'd originally imagined.  Instead, they'll live to see another month.  Since my design wall came down for painting, I haven't hung up all the Twinklers again, so just picture the 45 finished ones in your mind!

My Bits and Bobs pile of tiny nines seemed to grow so very large (for 2" blocks) over the course of the month that I must confess to disappointment when I only had enough for 5 blocks.  This week I've made a few more tiny nines, so I may yet eke out one or two more, but it currently isn't in the cards.  Today's a busy day, with a feed pick up, visiting family, and a date with DH to celebrate our 11th anniversary!


Finally, my applique blocks are my off-color work for the month.  I found most of the blocks simply did not lend themselves to being predominantly green, so a number of non-green blocks were worked on.  Since my goal this month was 6 instead of 8, I chose to work on several of the sun blocks, which I find highly tedious.  I have one last (yellow) sun to wrap up, which I may even finish today!

I finally saw the doctor about my back pain, and I am to continue my impossible task of not picking up kids or chicken feed buckets until the knots in my back release.  It's definitely better this week, and DH is done teaching for the summer, so he can feed the chickens for me.  I wonder how many weeks I need to wait before basting and quilting the next quilt?  (Not that I have a flimsy waiting, which is a good thing!)

Be sure to check out the link up this Saturday to enjoy all the inspirational projects!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

13 comments:

Vicki W said...

I hope your back is better soon!

Julierose said...

Oh sorry to hear about your continuing back problem--my DH is due for some epidurals soon...it is so hard to NOT do stuff you are used to doing and WANT to do...I like your little bits and bobs wall designs looks like cute stuff hugs, Julierose Happy Memorial Day hope you're better soon

Mari said...

Happy anniversary! Perhaps your hubby would like some twinkler stars as a present? :) Looking good!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Rest that back . . . sending virtual healing hugs!

Kat Scribner said...

Happy Anniversary! I can't believe that May is nearly over, I still have a pile of greens! lol

Alison V. said...

I love your pink and green together! :)

Deb A said...

First off - Happy Anniversary and enjoy date night with DH. You have made great progress despite all the other happenings this month. Was the back injured in the car accident? Hopefully the pain eases soon... being a Mom is tough work and when we need to stop doing something to help us it is very difficult.... especially if it falls in the Mom care area of kids and home. Take care of you and sending some healing thoughts.

PaulaB quilts said...

That's a lot of twinkles some day! I pray your back continues to heal. Happy anniversary.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Happy Anniversary!! You got a good amount of sewing done this week. Best wishes for continued improvement of your back!

scraphappy said...

Happy anniversary! We just celebrated 22 yesterday. Hope that your back is feeling better. Being in pain makes everything else harder. Hopefully you will be back to your usual routine soon enough.

Kate said...

Happy Anniversary! Hope you had a great night out. Back pain is no fun at all, hope you are feeling better. I'm looking forward to seeing all those Twinkle stars. It's going to be a gorgeous quilt.

Nancy said...

I love the parts for your twinkler stars. They look so fun all in a stack. I also like your suns. I'm sorry you find them tedious. I hope your back feels better soon. It's hard being in pain and still having to pick up children and other heavy things. Congratulations on your anniversary. I hope you had a good time with your husband.
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Sheila said...

Happy Anniversary! Love your blocks. Hope your back is better soon. dear.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...