Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sampler Quilt

...otherwise known, at least in my brain, as bane of my existence.

I purchased the mulitcolored fabric after someone's wedding with the intention of making them a bed quilt and having that fabric be the borders.  Over time, I collected the blue and light blue from my stash, ordered some Kona muslin to ensure a constant dye lot, and finally found the red somewhere.

Then the fabric sat in a box.

And sat.

I'd occasionally pull it out, develop a plan, and prepare to sew it.  I ended up with always a reason that interfered.

There was the plan to make the whole quilt a strippy quilt and practice my free motion quilting.  Nah, my machine has tension issue.

At the beginning of this year, I intended to make the blocks to make 350 blocks with Prairie Moon Quilts, so I thought the Just Takes 2 quilt would stretch my quilting horizons and provide me with a splendiferous quilt.  Well, there were printing and direction corrections with the Just Takes 2.  I had several times where I printed promptly, only to find corrections posted later.  I don't like corrections after the fact, so I gave up on the Just Takes 2.

Then, morning sickness kicked in.

Back in a box the project went, deeper and deeper in the the boxes of packing, and onto the shelves when we finally moved.

Now, I've decided it's time to at least make progress.  I tacked a flannel-backed table cloth to the wall, stripped down the "border" fabric to be the in between trips.  Then, I decided I'll do two strips of red-and-muslin blocks, two of the blues, and one of blue and red blocks.  Maybe I'll blend the colors later, but for now, I want them separate.  To make a queen-sized quilt, the strips will go horizontally across the bed rather than vertically.
Progress is being made, slowly but surely.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

1 comment:

JoAnne said...

This is looking pretty good. I LOVE the colors, ha ha. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I hope you keep us updated on it!

Progress

I sorted and cut my pink scraps this week, since the machine is busy.  I also finished, before the quilting started, 147 yellow 16 patches! ...