Friday, August 1, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Not Quite Green

I did sort my scraps today to pull out bright green, but, customary for pregnancy and summer, I am too hot and too tired to do much cutting.

Since I already made a lime green row in my row quilt, I'll be skipping that this month.  If (BIG if) once the kids go back to school and I finish a commissioned queen size quilt, I may work on a blue/grey row.  I will make Carrie Nation blocks and sampler blocks.  Otherwise, I still need to finish my 9s and 6s in red and may start sashing my row quilt.  Or quilt the two quilts waiting... or... or nothing.  And that would be okay too.

I did finish a RSC quilt recently, thanks to awesome help from my two girls.  I started these 2" 36-patches last year and continued at the beginning of 2014.  Then, morning sickness and reality kicked in.  I had (and have!) too many different projects ongoing at this point, so this one was booted.  I didn't really want to repeat colors much, and I didn't want a tiny quilt, and the original recipient changed so... they sat, and they sat, and they sat.

The saga continues... this summer, the Assistant wanted to make a quilt with me.  I suggested we use her scraps and make a quilt for the new baby, G, due in October.  We talked about using her sewing machine, but it's broken, and I decided we should hand piece it.  Out of the 100 patches, 20 were cobbled together from smaller scraps and pieced on my machine, but we put all 100 patches together, as well as the borders, by hand, usually when we were reading the Hobbit together as a family.


Of course, not wanting to be outdone by her sister and wanting a special mommy project too, Spunky asked to help.  She's not quite deft enough with a needle and thread to piece a top, so, when inspiration struck, I put her to work!  She took the 25 blocks I had, which just happened to be almost the perfect size for the top once I added borders, and laid them out for a backing.  Now G will have a super special quilt from both her sister and her mom, and I finished up a RSC project and some of my daughters' scraps!

 I love that everything came from stash and scraps, down to the ombre border and pink binding, and that we worked on all of it together.  I didn't even protest when Spunky laid out her blocks totally differently from how I would.  I asked her why, and realized she made rows of color... I'm glad I asked before I rearranged it!  I quilted it very simply with a wavy line down the seams, just in case our hand piecing wasn't quite up to snuff.  The quilt washed up wonderfully soft, not stiff at all, and JoJo has already given it his seal of approval by snuggling with it while I was finishing the binding.

So... back to green next week!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

7 comments:

Alzbeta said...

Oh, Katie... it turned out beautifully. How blessed your babies are to have such a talented mama (with patience to include them in the process)!

Sheila said...

They are beautiful. What talented girls! A talented family.
Hope you are feeling better today, dear. Bless your heart. Take it easy.

Kate said...

What a great quilt for the new little one. Both sides turned out beautifully.

It's amazing how the younger ones put things together, Drama Teen still comes up with things that I'd never consider.

Nell's Quilts said...

How special to work together on a project. Two truly wonderful quilts for someone much loved and awaited.

Deb A said...

So pretty and such a lucky baby to get such treasures from big sisters and Mom! Glad JoJo gave it the seal of approval.

Jo said...

They will treasure these quilts for a very long time

Angie said...

What wonderful memories you all are creating!

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...