Friday, August 8, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Light Green

Whew!  I wasn't confident I would finish the week with any green to show, but here I have TWO pictures.


First, I have a quilt that doesn't strictly follow the "scrap" part of this challenge.  Below I have a quilt top (two seams left) I was commissioned to make for my sister-in-law, whose sister married in July.  I think it fits, however, because everything seen is from stash except for a few bright greens.  I had to purchase the bright greens because I used up ALL of mine last year!


I also whipped out my 8 Carrie Nation blocks as leaders and enders in between the tedium of the hundreds of half square triangles in the above quilt.  (And the sewing lesson I learned with all those triangles?  My sewing would be significantly better if I cut more accurately.  Hard to do with kids around, but I'm definitely going to work on it.)


Since I won't be doing a row for my row quilt in greens (I did it with the other greens), I may try to assemble all of my finished Carrie Nation blocks into a partial top.  I'm at due date in less than 10 weeks, so my time is growing short to get some of this done.

I finished my 9s and 6s, totaling enough that it's ready to be laid out for a top.  This will wait until I finish the tree skirt for my sister and the above quilt.  Since I am to finish both by month's end, maybe in September?

Be sure to check out all the other fabulous green projects at the hub for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.


9 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Your sister in law's quilt is great. Love those red stars with the bright and darker green. I struggle with accuracy when piecing. Yes cutting and sewing each little error really makes such a difference. I do a lot of damage when I press. I really need to finish my craftsy class and pay more attention.

scraphappy said...

Best of luck getting things finished up before the big day. Always such an exciting time.

Nell's Quilts said...

The stars in your sister-in-law's quilt just sparkle. One of the first tips I got from an experience quilter was to make sure to press the fabric well before cutting and to give it a chance to cool off from the heat of the iron before cutting. It was something she did faithfully and her quilt blocks were spot on for accuracy.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Love the star quilt. I hope you get everything done in time!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Happy stitching . . .

Lilian Pilar said...

Me gusta, que colorido

Sheila said...

Your stars twinkle nicely. You have been busy.
A new baby soon. Oh my. This is exciting. Don't overdo, dear : )

Kate said...

Wow, I love that quilt for your SIL. Lots of brights in that one.

Deb A said...

Beautiful quilt you are making. Always fun to get to purchase new fabric for projects. Good luck with your deadline. It is always difficult with little hands around to help.

May Goals

 April was a month of unexpected things. 1. Scraps: trim, yellow flower blocks, yellow 16 patches.   Done. 2. Finish the last two sections o...