Saturday, April 2, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Not-Cantaloupe-Yet

I've already trimmed down my box of scraps to catch up for the month, but it was boring and mostly blue.
I did finally take a picture of my appliqué blocks thus far.  I had hoped to finish a few more, but, guess what?  I have pneumonia!  Now that the fever is gone, I desperately need to kick this cough.  If you have any relatively palatable home remedies, I'm all ears.  Even the codeine doesn't do enough!  (Please don't pity us, though.  This was an okay time to get sick, in the grand scheme of things.)

My sewing this week mostly revolved around finishing Amethyst and Iron.  I had the border and pieced blocks quilted, but still needed all the setting triangles and center alternate blocks.  I chose feathers.  Let's just summarize by saying they're not prize winners, but I'm improving.  (I apologize for not cleaning my lens AGAIN.  Ugh, blurry pictures!)  I think I need to spend some time looking at pictures of quilted feathers on Google, to get a better handle on filling space and adapting feathers to curves.  I don't think any of that would have made any sense if I hadn't spent this quilt struggling with exactly those things, so I'm excited to learn more.

 The backing is scrappy, light purples and greys, and the binding is scrappy dark purples.  I love how this quilt finished up, and I'm sure I'll find an appropriate recipient soon!  (It finished roughly 60" square.)
I finished the binding Thursday, as it was a good excuse to plant myself in a chair and not get up.  Other than onion planting this weekend, I've got a whole lot of nothing on my to do list!

I had a question to ask yesterday, as I was pinning (and pinning, and pinning) and ran out of pins.  How many straight pins are in your sewing room? A box?  Too many boxes to count?  And what kind are your favorite?  I know I want thin pins, but I can never remember what size that is as I rarely buy pins.  I have a hat pinball with maybe 1/2 a box of odds and ends, and a box of better pins, but that's it.

For April, I'll be back to Odd Fellows.  I discovered I may have nearly 30 blocks done.  I thought I had 25 at best, and I need 88 to finish, so this is a great discovery.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

13 comments:

Mari said...

Oh my gosh, pneumonia! Hope you feel better soon! Wish I had a good cough remedy for you. Congrats on the great finish, and I love the applique blocks. Now go get some rest!

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

Amethyst and Iron is absolutely stunning ! So sorry about the pneumonia and the lingering cough.If the codeine isn't helping much the only thing that I remember is putting Vicks vapo rub on the chest at night to break things up a bit. Hope it lessens and clears soon!

LA Paylor said...

I had pneumonia... broke a rib coughing. Take care...
The purple quilt is stunning. The blocks are almost enough to make you well, so cheerful. LeeAnna

Peggyinno said...

Hope you are feeling better soon. Take care. Love the "purple" quilt.

Kate said...

Oh so not fun on the coughing. Sorry I don't know of any home remedies. Hope the coughing tapers off soon. Amethyst and Iron turned out beautifully! Love those paler purples, the quilt has that soft and cuddly look to it.

Nell's Quilts said...

Home remedies - hmm! I've found that tea with a spoonful of honey, a slice of lemon and a few slices of ginger provides some relief and comfort. Love all the applique blocks.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So sorry to hear you've been dealing with pneumonia. I hope it's better this week! Your Amethyst and Iron quilt is beautiful! I love the piano key border. I bought some new pins last summer, and have been trying to weed out the old bent ones ever since. I know mine are not very thin, but I find that the smaller, thinner ones are harder for me to pick up!

The Joyful Quilter said...

No home remedies, but Tessalon Perles worked wonders on my last bad cough. SEW sorry that you got sick. You managed some GREAT work, in spite of it!!

Angie said...

Amethyst and Iron is gorgeous and your applique blocks are adorable! No home remedies here, but I do know rest is important, so try to be good to yourself. I do like the very thin pins for sewing - the long ones. I always buy them online, as sewing stores never seem to have the thin ones.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, geez!! SEW sorry that you got sick!! You certainly did some nice work, in spite of it. No home remedies, but Tessalon Pearls worked wonders on my last bad cough! Hope you are feeling better soon.

Sue Noetzel said...

Hope you are feeling better. I love your amethyst quilt. Lovely!

Vicki W said...

The quilt looks great! My favorite pins are glass head fine silver pins. I'll look them up. ..http://www.amazon.com/glass-head-super-0-5mm-shaft/dp/B001J5LK1S
Not those exactly but I think these are close. I'm a pin snob and have several packages to keep my 4 pin cushions full. Periodically I toss them all out and buy new because I sew over them.......very bad habit.

claudia said...

Pneumonia is going around here. And hopefully, it goes completely around my little farm. I have COPD and the last thing I need is pneumonia, I do not wish to go to the hospital, which is what would happen. I hope that you are feeling better and kicking that cough!
I love everything that you have going on. It is inspiring me to get a move on in my own sewing space!

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...