Wednesday, November 18, 2009

There was a mouse in my house...

This past weekend, we journeyed to the cabin again. No mice! Only wasps that were the very devil to squash. They liked to dive bomb people and land on their back. But no mice.

So we arrived home with loads of laundry, as goes for any trip with small children (and there were 5 small children on this trip). I took the laundry down to the basement Monday morning and began sorting. Then, I happened to look over into the washer, and there was a mouse!

I managed not to scream. Then I called my sister because I didn't really want to pick up a dead mouse without someone convincing me that was better than leaving it for DH. Unfortunately, the washer already stunk, so it was thoroughly washed out in a load of bleach water when I was done.

What I really want to know is: how did the mouse fall in my washer, and how did it die so quickly? I did laundry Thursday evening, so it was only in the washer a few days. At least it's gone - we've been finding traces of this lovely mouse under our kitchen sink for a few months.

So the mouse went out to the trash, and I hope I don't see any more for a LONG time! (At least not in my house.)

Now, the girls have a nasty cold/allergy attack/some kind of nastiness, so we will be doing nothing today!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

1 comment:

Lori in South Dakota said...

mice don't live very long when trapped inside something--like your washer. Not sure if they die of fright or what. We used to have a "box" trap for mice, the mice ran thru a little hole on the side, stepped on a spot that activated a "flapping door" and it would throw the mouse (alive) into a box on the side. Unless we checked it as soon as it went off, the mice usually died before we opened the box. This was a box trap usually used in warehouses many years ago. On the farm every once in a while a mouse would fall into a plastic bucket and not be able to climb out, the same thing usually happened. Course, we used those buckets a lot and came across a lot of LIVE mice too!!

Progress

I sorted and cut my pink scraps this week, since the machine is busy.  I also finished, before the quilting started, 147 yellow 16 patches! ...