Saturday, August 22, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Worn Out

School started this week, so the days are suddenly quieter (and tidier!).  Dishes and laundry stay done for more than five minutes, and JoJo has become quite a chatterbox when no one else is around.  Miss G is a walking fool, so the days are still busy.

 I finished my quilt for my brother!  There are still a few threads on top to knot and bury, but it's washed and crinkly.  Finishing the binding was a challenge in stealth as JoJo wants to crawl under blankets and play peek-a-boo with me.  I'm glad we're playing, but it's a dangerous game with needle in hand!
 It's not scrappy, so I know it doesn't really fit with the challenge, but the idea for this quilt has long been on my mind and the fabric in my stash, so this was as good a time as any to break into it.  I was a strip short of aqua, so sprinkled throughout are 12 substitute squares.  I'm relieved to see they aren't too obvious in the picture.
 I enjoyed trying some new quilting shapes, even if they aren't very even, and I'm glad to have this quilt done.  It finished at around 6 feet by 7 feet, so it should be a generous size for my brother on his bed.  He's at Notre Dame studying for his doctorate, and I heard a rumor his old quilt from me had worn out, so this will be his Christmas gift this year!
More Bits and Bobs blocks are complete.  I was surprised by the abundance of yellow in my triangles

 All the Assistant's scrappy Irish chain blocks are completed!  I'm ready for the brown month, as I'll be churning out this quilt.  She still can't quite imagine how the blocks are going to lock together, so it'll be fun to sew while she's at school and surprise her.
We had a rough week, sleeping wise, but JoJo slept through the night last night and got up at five this morning, so maybe we've ended that stretch!  Enjoy your week.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. I may have a dearth of indigo (I think there might be some in the binding of my finished quilt), there are plenty of other scrappy projects waiting to be enjoyed this weekend!

12 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely indigoes in your stash! i like your little squares. hugs, Julierose

gayle said...

Hurray for the big finish!! (Finishing anything with small children underfoot is a major accomplishment!)
I love all your little blocks. 8)

Kate said...

Congrats on the finish. It looks just right for a guy working on his graduate degree (I won't mention what My Guy had on his bed when he was a graduate student. Suffice it it to say, it was no where near that nice).

I'll keep my fingers crossed the JoJo continues to sleep better. Hope you get more stitching time with the older kids in school.

PaulaB quilts said...

Congrats on the finish. A great quilt for a guy and a good experience for you.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Is that the backing for The Assistant's quilt under the bucket of blocks?? If so, nice choice. Congrats on your completed quilt, the additional scrap blocks, and JoJo sleeping through the night!!!

Jennie in GA said...

You are amazing to get so much done with little ones. Your brother is a lucky guy.

Dasha said...

Great quilt for your brother! I can't manage quilting a big quilt like that on my domestic sewing machine, so full marks to you.

scraphappy said...

Beautiful quilt for your brother. I am sure that it will keep him snugly and warm. Enjoy the relative quiet of school days. Hopefully you will be able to keep up better while part of the gang is out.

Magpie Sue said...

Your brother is going to love that quilt. It's been surprising to me to see what colors I've had a lot of and which didn't have much to offer in the way of scraps or remnants (this is my first year in the RSC). I'm already wondering what I'm going to tackle next year...

Nell's Quilts said...

What a beautiful finish. I'm sure your brother will really appreciate it. Glad to hear JoJo slept through the night. It's tough running through the day when your sleep has been disturbed.

Sheila said...

Beautiful quilt for your brother. He's going to love it. Happy to hear sweet JoJo might be sleeping better.

Cathy said...

Miss G is walking already??? Time flies! Another lovely quilt for your brother to love to pieces. Congrats on that finish!

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...