Saturday, June 4, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Change in Plans

I had great plans for my project this month, a lovely quilt called Aegan Seas by Judy Martin.  I ogled over the pattern more than once, saved aside a bag of 2" strips in the perfect colors and... Wait.  2" strips?  Somehow, until Monday, I didn't connect that I needed 1.5" strips and I'd saved my 2" strips.  No, I'm not cutting 1/2" off all my scraps.  So... This quilt is now on a dream list as I start over with the scrap saving for it, and I need a new plan.

First up, I'll be continuing my Twinkler Stars in pink and green, since I have 12 blocks in pieces and only 12 blocks to sew after that, and they do have lime green!


Secondly, the girls are sewing a blue and grey quilt with me, for their newest boy cousin, due in October.  It's a carpenter star, so it's giving the Assistant her first taste of triangles.  At least they're huge!  I enjoying demolishing several pieces of small yardage from my stash to cut this.  This doesn't really fit the color requirements, but I try to do a quilt each summer with the girls, and this is it for 2016.
I do spy the turned triangle, and it's already fixed!
Finally, I'll be using long-coveted hand dyed fabric to make an aquamarine and white baby quilt.  One can always use more baby quilts for gifts, I find!  This is yardage and not scraps, but since I need more scraps, I'm considering it a scrap creating project!

Be sure to check out all the aqua and lime projects this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

10 comments:

Mari said...

A "scrap-creating project!" I love it! An aqua and white baby quilt sounds like it will be gorgeous!

Karen said...

Your Carpenter Star is very pretty. It is one of my favors blocks to make.

Kate said...

You've got lots of fun projects in the works. I'm looking forward to seeing all your pink and green twinkler blocks. The aqua and white project is going to be so pretty, it's a great color combo. Love the unique justification for starting a new project, needing more scraps. Very inventive!

Jennifer said...

I like the way you think: a "scrap creating project"! I think I should try that, too!

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE that Carpenter Star that you are making with the girls!! I'll be looking forward to seeing what quilt you make the AQUA yardage into. Have FUN with it!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I never feel bad about cutting into fat quarters or yardage for any project, because I love scrap "creating!" How fun that you make a quilt with your kids every summer, too! What a great idea!

Deb A said...

Bummer on the wrong size strips. I cut a bunch out the wrong size one time.... completely threw me off that quilt forever. Enjoy the sewing with the kids. I'm going to try that with mine and see how they do.
Can't wait to see the new baby quilt in those colors. Your blue carpenter star is lovely.

gayle said...

"Scrap creating project" may be the best thing ever!

Angie said...

Looking forward to seeing the completed Carpenter Star and the aqua & white baby quilt!

PaulaB quilts said...

Can't wait to see those twinklers. The carpenter star is an impressive block, looks good. Have fun with the rest.

May Goals

 April was a month of unexpected things. 1. Scraps: trim, yellow flower blocks, yellow 16 patches.   Done. 2. Finish the last two sections o...