Saturday, June 11, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Moving Right Along

The baby quilt for my nephew is a top!  It's a good thing he won't care about matching points, as the Assistant's first foray into triangles was a little rough.  I've already pieced the backing, chosn quilting thread colors, and discovered I have the right size of batting scraps to piece that too.  My hope is to begin quilting next week.

I chose a pattern for my scrap-making baby quilt (Nifty Thrifty by Bonnie Hunter).  I thought the Assistant might like to help with this one too, but she's got her own "real" scrap project she's enjoying, and she might as well sew what she enjoys!  She's stitching up my 2.5" squares and bricks and having a ball.  I fortunately had just enough background (which glows in the dark) to use only one for this quilt.  I cut fairly efficiently, time will tell if I actually produce any scraps in this endeavor, but using stash is like using scraps, right?

Finally, the Twinkler Stars are all pieced!  I can tell my cutting still (always) needs some work.  I think I struggle with cutting the strips because I have a smaller cutting board and have to use the coffee table to cut.  Far from ideal.  Anyway, the blocks are done and I'm excited to play with sashing (or no sashing...).  I think now that I've finished all the fiddly triangles, I may start to enjoy them again.

Be sure to check out all the other loverly projects this Saturday!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

7 comments:

Alison V. said...

That teal star is lovely! :)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Glows in the dark - THAT will be pretty cool with that wonderful star!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fabulous progress on all fronts!! Please offer my congratulations to the Assistant on a job well done.

Angie said...

The nephew's baby quilt is wonderful! I'm going to keep that big Carpenter Star idea in mind for a future baby quilt. The Twinkler Stars look amazing!

Magpie Sue said...

I hope the process of assembling those twinklers into a top will go smoothly for you. And the quilting on the baby quilt too!

gayle said...

All your projects look fantastic! Your twinklers are going to make a gorgeous quilt - isn't it a wonderful block?

Kate said...

Love the Twinkle Stars! Love the colors you ended up with. The baby quilt looks great too, hard to tell there was a novice involved. Hope you've been able to make progress on both projects.

May Goals

 April was a month of unexpected things. 1. Scraps: trim, yellow flower blocks, yellow 16 patches.   Done. 2. Finish the last two sections o...