Saturday, March 11, 2017

Rust and Brick

Ah, the mini nines.  I do enjoy these little blocks, finishing at 4.5", and all the variety the contain.  I ran out of red options, which is just fine.  Several "awkward" fabrics were perfect for this, as they don't need to match anything, or look a certain color, or do anything but be their colorful selves.  I have no idea how the quilt will end the year, as I didn't pay attention to anything but cutting from unique scraps.
 So, there were those orphan blocks that I mentioned should be in last place.  Well, I finished the mini nines AND the hourglass blocks (although they're awaiting trimming, so we'll visit them next week), and I wasn't quite ready to start the Barn Dance blocks, so I made outer borders to limit my design wall.  I'm cobbling together little bits to flesh out the very center, and then I may need to address the plethora of triangles I have in rusty reds.  Eek!
from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

P.S. Be sure to visit the splendor of red projects this weekend!

12 comments:

Marly said...

I love how you're setting those mini 9-patches. They really come into their own with the frame.

Jennifer said...

your mini 9s are great! they'll make a wonderful scrappy quilt at the end of the year (or whenever you finish it!)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Way to knock out your Tiny Nines in RED!! You've made a REALLY good start on that Orphan quilt, too. Go, you!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your tiny nines with all the different borders! I can't remember - are you making a whole quilt out of just those blocks or do they go together with something else? I think the scrappy look of the tiny nines the way you're making them would be such a fun quilt!

scraphappy said...

What fun design you have going on. Finishing up the borders first to limit the scope is a brilliant idea.

Angie said...

Love those mini 9s - so fun and happy!

Suz J said...

Looks like some really interesting projects on the go. It is great to have something like the RSC to give the motivation to get some of these things progressing.

gayle said...

I love your mini nines! (I'm a big fan of tiny blocks!) And your orphan project looks intriguing. I hadn't thought of doing the border first, but it'll really help with visualizing the whole as you build the parts.

Cathy Tomm said...

Sweet little mini nines! I like your idea of mixing up the outer parts with some odd fabrics.

Kate said...

Very fun scrappy quilts. You've been getting lots done. The orphan block quilt looks great.

Nell's Quilts said...

Looks like so much fun working on those orphan blocks and cobbling together a quilt. The mini nine patches look happy surrounded by colour.

Cathy said...

I love little blocks but I think those little nine patches are too small for me. One breath and I'd have the scraps scattered all over and not be able to see them. They sure are super cute!

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...