Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My First Quilt Guild Meeting

My reaction? Meh.

So, the welcoming/beekeeping table is supposed to make sure a visitor can find a seat and gets all her questions asked.  Me?  I was lucky enough just to find an unoccupied seat for myself in that great sea of estrogen.

I do not like to talk to strangers, so I probably would have had a much better time if someone HAD taken me under their wing and introduced me to some of their buddies.

As it was, show-and-tell had some amazing quilts.  The presentation was about tile quilts, and quite amazing, except that I don't do hand applique well, and I don't need another project on my to-do list!

I worked on my hexagon UFO/long-term project during the meeting, basting another set of 13 and began sewing them together in their "snowflake shapes."  Some nice woman did ask me, during cookie break, what I was doing, and figured I must have been quilting for a while if I was up to hexagons.  Yup, but can't say my hexagons still look all that great!

I can see what sociable people love these meetings.  I was just floored by the number of women.  There must have been at least 400...

My mom and DH both insist that I should go a few more times before I write off the experience completely.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

2 comments:

Lori said...

How many people??? Oh wow--I think that would have given me an anxiety attack. Where on earth do they hold a meeting for that many quilters??

Lynley said...

Oh, the agony of the first guild meeting!!! I can completely relate, especially if you're a bit different, and it seems like everyone else knows each other ... It will never be easy, so my advice is just keep going, otherwise that ice is never going to get broken.

But do tell us all about it :)

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...