Monday, September 1, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop

I'm not great at introductions, but I taking part in a fun blog hop to meet new blogs!  I should have posted this morning, but I have four kids (and one on the way), and today was a little hectic with everyone home!  I am following after Angela at SoScrappy.

The Assistant is 8 and has been sewing with me for years.  We call her Zana, and when she was little, she would sit on my lap while I sewed and sing, "nini nini nini."  Hence the name Zana's Ninis.  Spunky is 6 and, while interested in sewing, doesn't quite have the attention span to sew yet. Soon!  I also have two boys, Bear Cub Q (4) and JoJo (1 1/2).  Since I sew in the play room, JoJo is convinced he should help me sew by threading my machine and dropping pins in it.  He is in a particularly destructively "helpful" stage, so I often write about his disasters, especially his current favorite, eggs.  Our third girl is due October 13, so I'm on a mission to finish at least two quilts before her arrival, unless she surprises me by being the ONLY baby to be born early.  I wouldn't mind!


We also run a small farm business called Paradiso Products, and I can during the summer.  We have chickens (lots!), turkeys, goats, sheep, and a cat and dog.  We had guinea fowl and may try pigs next summer.  It's always an adventure around here.  We're the crazy people in the neighborhood, but everyone loves our craziness.  It's not noisome, and we like to share!


1.  What am I working on?


Probably too many things.  My "short list" on the sidebar lists what SHOULD be my priorities, like the fabulous DWR quilt my younger sister has awaited so patiently for three years (or so!).  I also have several rainbow scrap challenge quilts, several of which will be teacher gifts.  I need four this year, as the Assistant has two teachers and Bear Cub Q started school this year!

I like to have several ongoing projects so that when one is at a difficult stage (quilting, for example!) I can take a break from it but still move something forward.

2. How does my work differ from others?


I don't think it does.  I try lots of techniques (minus applique and paper piecing.  Too difficult to track with JoJo around!), but I don't do anything particularly revolutionary.

3.  Why do I write/create what I do?


Stress relief.  We have a busy life on our little farm and with our fabulous family, but sometimes I need some personal time alone.  I'm an introvert, so I like to tune everyone out for a while and be with my thoughts.  Quilting is a perfect method for me, as I can work at my own pace, set my own goals, and my husband doesn't care how often I finish a quilt.  He's a good man, my husband is.

4.  How does my writing/creating process work?


I usually see a fabric, block design, or quilt that tickles my fancy.  It percolates for a while as I pull fabric or sketch designs on graph paper.  Sometimes a need emerges and a quilt is perfect for the need, so it moves to the front.  Eventually, my plate is clear enough to start something new, and I can pick from previous plans.

The Rainbow Scrap Challenge has been a great way for me to finally use my scraps.  I've saved them for years and even, at one point, gave them all away because I didn't know how to use them.  Now, I have several quilts in the works, known what sizes I use most, and am regularly dreaming up more quilts I can make with scraps!


Since I was lame and didn't get my friendly friends contacted ahead of time, hopefully at least one or two of these lovely ladies will participate in the blog hop by posting next Monday and continue its journey around the globe:

1.  Alzbeta of the Volk's Wagon.  My younger sister.  Photographer extraordinaire.  Her two girls are each six weeks younger than my boys, so we share lots of stories.

2.  Millie of Truckin' for the Lord.  This is my older sister, who loves music, needlework, and English.  She's also an expert on dealing with school matters, so when something comes up for my kids, she's always there to help me.  She's a saint, as she has a husband who experienced kidney failure and a son who's on the Autism spectrum (and she's still patient!).

3.  Lori of Dakota City Quilter.  Lori was the first blogger to encourage me to keep blogging, way back when, and we've been friends ever since.   She even visited me once, and two summers ago, my family vacationed in her neck of the woods.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

P.S.  I had this post all nicely done earlier this evening, and then it vanished.  It may not be his fault, but since JoJo watched PBS kids on my iPad this evening, I can only wonder if he tapped on something online and ate my post for me.  He's always helpful like that, the poor, cute thing!

3 comments:

scraphappy said...

What a fun insight into your life and your quilts. I am amazed that you can get anything at all done with all that you have going on!

Millie said...

Okay: so what do I need to do next Monday?

Magpie Sue said...

How delightful to meet you through this post! I encourage you in your quilting, farming, and child rearing. You have a LOT on your plate! I turned to quilt making when my children were little too. Didn't get much done but it gave me the personal time I needed (I'm now a grandmother).

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...