Friday, June 26, 2015

Rainbow Scrappy Challenge

Whew!  I sewed and sewed Friday morning, so I do have some great progress to share.

All told, I sewed up 52 Bits and Bobs blocks.  In the last five months, I've only completed 67.  It's no wonder I felt like the pile would never end!  I know the blue 1" strips are still uncut, so I'm not caught up, even now, but maybe I'll tackle them on an orange month, since I don't have many oranges.

The finished Blue Crosses quilt is lovely, although I will admit to a sick feeling in my stomach when I realized one or two of the "inherited" black fabrics bled.  Grr.  I'll be sure to give it to someone who will use it for a picnic quilt or some such messy purpose.  I think my "swirly" quilting turned out rather nicely!

Spunky and I managed to make the nine blocks for her baby quilt.  I see some pieces were rearranged in sewing or sorting, but who cares?  I had planned for simple straight line quilting 1/4" from either side of the seam lines, but Spunky requested hearts and loops, so hearts and loops it will be!

My Rainbow Star is moving along briskly.  I am over 1/2 done with the cross hatching in the background and 5/8 done with the star points.  It is still hard to hand quilt with the babies, but I'm still motivated to finish more projects before I begin anything new!
My quilt for my brother is coming along nicely, although I have discovered I sewed (and cut!) an entire strip set wrong.  There is plenty of time to fix that.
Be sure to check out all the other scrappy projects this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.






15 comments:

Julie in GA said...

So many beautiful projects! I love your Rainbow Star.

scraphappy said...

You really did sew and sew. What great progress you made. The rainbow star is coming along so well! And those bits and bobs, adorable! It is amazing how much you manage to get done with so many "helpers"

Cathy said...

What a great bunch of projects. Yay for Spunky getting in on the action! Your Rainbow Star is beautiful and hand quilting makes it even more so.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Your quilts are all turning out nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing your Bits and Bobs quilt done.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your swirls are definitely good -- I have yet to master those!

LA Paylor said...

ooooo the rainbow star! fabulous. LeeAnna

Nell's Quilts said...

Great work this week! Love the swirls. I can't imagine hand quilting through all the seams on your rainbow star quilt. Your bits and bobs are really making the quilt come alive. Wow!

Kathy's A Quilter said...

wow, that is a great dent in sewing schedule. Well done

Lori said...

I want to know how you found that much sewing time. You are a busy woman!!

Kate said...

All your projects are looking great! I really like the Rainbow Star project.

Angie said...

What a fun assortment of projects! Everything looks great!

Magpie Sue said...

Once again, an amazing amount of progress! Your quilting does look great. And sometimes it's nice to have someone else giving directions for what needs to be done to a quilt (hearts and loops). ;- )

Sheila said...

So many great blocks. Love your rainbow star. Sweet baby quilt progress : )

Vicki W said...

Have you tried to soak the quilt with the bleeding fabrics? It will likely come out. Check my blog and click on the "Save My Bleeding Quilt" for instructions if you wan to try it.

sunny said...

Lots of fun stuff happening. I love the Rainbow Star! How big is it??

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...