Saturday, June 13, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Crazy Times

As many of you may know, I am usually a stay-at-home/farm-at-home mom.  Over the last two weeks, I've spent eight days offering formation courses during the day, and thus evening have been crazy.  While I loved teaching, I am relieved those crazy times are over.

Friday, one of my aunts, whom I've seen twice in 20 or more years, came to visit.  It was splendiferous.  She's generous, kind, and funny like my mom.  The three of us toured the farm, moved furniture, visited, and even purged the art room, right down to sorting out the pencils from the crayons.  I am so blessed by my family.

I even managed a decent bit of sewing, often snuck in first thing in the morning or past thing at night.

My blue, brown, and black bricks are a top, even pinned for quilting.  Before you feel too impressed, you should know all the cutting and half of the sewing was done before this most recent week.  I'm torn on the quilting plan.  Straight lines?  SITD?  Meander?

24 of my 25 new Bits and Bobs blocks are on the design wall.  As I placed them, I found I had turned a triangle on the last one, so it's waiting for a date with the seam ripper.  Not many are blue yet, but I still have a number of nine patches to make and a large pile of triangles to trim and press.

I began cutting for a Trip Around the World quilt, in blues and greys.  I've been hoarding the solids for quite some time.  They were purchased after some friends took a cruise to Alaska and shared images of the fabulous colors in icebergs.  Surely my color balance is a bit dark, but it's for my brother, who probably would refer a darker to lighter quilt.  We'll see how far it gets, but it's on my list, I have the fabric, and he needs a new quilt.  All good motivators, don't you think?

Be sure to check out other lovely blue projects this and every Saturday!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.




10 comments:

scraphappy said...

Love the bits and bobs, they are coming along well. Definitely a long term project. Sounds like busy times at your house. So glad you were able to spend time with family. Especially when you get along so well.

sunny said...

Sounds like a fun week! Your trip around the world should be beautiful.

Vicki W said...

I think free motion swirls would look awesome on your blue and brown quilt. The TATW sounds awesome in glacier colors!

Nell's Quilts said...

Sounds like a busy week. So nice to see family you haven't seen for a while. The bricks in blue, brown and black look great. The bits and bobs are so sweet. Great work and wonderful plans for the trip around the world.

Kate said...

Bits and Bobs is looking great, so are the bricks. The Trip Around the World in blues and grays is going to be stunning, even if it doesn't match the ice (maybe you could say it matches the ice during a gale, when the clouds are dark and gray). Well, maybe not. Not the best image for a quilt meant for your brother. Of course you could always call it Cloud Burst, Stormy Weather ... Ok obviously too much rain on the the brain. I'll stop.

The Joyful Quilter said...

All of your projects are coming along nicely. Here's hoping next week will be less stressful for you!!

Sheila said...

Love these projects.
I usually quilt using a loose free motion meander except for string quilts that I quilt with wavy horizontal lines. Most all my quilts are scrappy.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Look at you go!!! Sounds like just a great time all around!!

Scrappy quilter said...

Great projects. Sounds like a wonderful time with your aunt.

PaulaB quilts said...

The most wonderful colors I have seen were the blues in the icebergs on our Alaska cruise, like floating jewels the size of cars slowly cruising past us. You can be really inspired by that theme, plus the ever changing ocean colors. Great for a TATW.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...