Saturday, July 16, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: All Twinkled Out

I survived my twinklers!  Actually, the sewing wasn't difficult, simply tedious.  I needed 20 pieces to make each set of 4 - 2.5" squares for the stars.  Then came the saga of the missing star.  In the end, I opted to quilt it with a meandering "c" shape.  No fabrics bled in the wash, so it finished at a crinkly, snuggly 48" x 60".  This will be going in the Christmas gift stash.


That's all she wrote, folks.  The pink is over for the month.  Even for my Bits and Bobs, I only have a few pink 9-patches.  What am I going to do for another two weeks?

Firstly, I'll be tackling this little beauty, which I think I'll call Ocean Waves.  I've already basted it, so it's ready for quilting and at its diminutive size of 40" x 46", it will be a breeze to quilt.  My trouble currently is how to quilt it.  I've chosen two blue threads, a light and dark, and feel stymied.  Follow the movement?  Ignore it?  Sharp or curvy shapes?  I'm depending on your wise advice to settle my dilemma.

Secondly, DH would like a new quilt for his Memaw.  The original quilt I gave her was lost/given away in a move, and she's now at a retirement home and in need of some cheer.  Her first was a patriotic quilt, and so is her second.  I'll be using red instead of pink for the rest of the month.

I definitely purchased a "few" yards of fabric when I visited the soon-to-close quilt shop.  I was dismayed to see how naked the store was, only six days into the sale.  Included in my purchases are two lovely pinks.  One is a fabulous pinky purple.  The Assistant and I agree that I should have purchased the whole bolt.

Finally, there might be a pink and purple quilt in my future, all depending on a certain appointment Wednesday morning.

Be sure to check out all the fun pink projects this Saturday!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

17 comments:

Karen said...

I wish I could see the twinkler quilt in person. I am sure your picture doesn't show all it beauty. It will be a wonderful gift. I know I would love it.

Cathy said...

That Twinkler quilt is to die for! I really love your color layout. Can't help with the quilting of Ocean Waves, though, as I'm such a rank beginner in that area and will quilt just about any easy pattern on any quilt to get it done. Yep, that's my (lack of) style! I think it will be gorgeous whatever you choose!

Alison V. said...

I just LOVE your twinkler quilt! It is just gorgeous.

Deb from frugal little bungalow said...

oh that twinkler quilt is just stunning ! :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hmm... Good luck with your appointment on Wednesday! I hope all is well.

Congrats! on completing your Twinkler Quilt, but I have no advise regarding the quilting of the Ocean Waves Quilt. Choosing the quilting pattern is one of the hardest jobs surrounding my quilt making obsession. Sorry that I'm no help!!

PaulaB quilts said...

Your twinkler quilt is wonderful. How did you ever make so many? They blend beautifully. Ocean Waves calls for something wavy or stormy in the quilting, I think. Good luck with your cheerful reds quilt, such a thoughtful gift.

Mari said...

The twinkler quilt is beautiful! If you need a gift recipient, I'll volunteer! As for Ocean Waves, I always think that straight lines in the piecing call for curves in the quilting, so I vote for waves or something like them. Have fun!

Chantal said...

I love your twinklers. It is beautiful. Congrats on this sparkling finish. ;^)

Kate said...

Your Twinklers are beautiful! You did a great job distributing the colors. I really like the dark fading out from the center.

Kerri K said...

Twinkler quilt is AMAZING!! LOVE IT!

gayle said...

That Twinkler is absolutely stunning! Love it!
I can't believe how much you get done!

Magpie Sue said...

The twinkler is gorgeous. Like others have said, I'd go for curves of some sort on the ocean waves quilt. I have no doubt you'll come up with terrific projects for the rest of the month, pink or not!

Lisa said...

Twinkle twinkle teeny tiny little stars. I love this!!! Good luck for your appointment.

Angie said...

The Twinkler quilt turned out gorgeous - the color duos are amazing!! I'd go with curvy quilting for the waves quilt - I think it will soften the geometry of all those rectangles.

Pamela Arbour said...

You did a beautiful job on the twinklers.

Vicki W said...

I love your twinklers!

quiltingbydawn said...

Your Twinkler Quilt is wonderful! The colors are perfect together! Just lovely!

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...