Saturday, July 9, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Hot Pink Mess

Shortly after I posted last week's blog about the missing block, it reappeared!  It was definitively missing when all the blocks were on the wall.  When I recounted, it was still missing.  When I replaced them on the wall, it was back!  I can only imagine one of the kids found it and, knowing how irritated I was that it was missing, snuck it back on the pile without telling me.

Determined not to give Miss G an opportunity to abscond with another block and repeat the fiasco, I began sewing the top together.  Despite all the pinning required, the flimsy came together quickly, so quickly in fact that I already have it basted and mostly quilted.  Since it's still under the needle, it currently looks like a hot pink mess.

As I'm quilting, the great debate has become the color of binding.  I originally bought an extra piece of coordinating background print that could be used for binding, but I could also using bright pink, which might be more to the liking of the intended recipient.

Meanwhile, I'm still stuck in aqua land.  I am making a second baby quilt out of the same luscious Vicki Welsh fabrics as the most recent baby quilt, and that will leave me with nothing but scraps.  I will be using another fabric I picked up on vacation for the backing.

Finally, I'm torn.  A local-ish (there are no local quilt shops when you live in the country) quilt shop is closing.  It carries lots of fun fabrics, so do I want to take advantage of the 30% off, or do I find myself content with what I have?

Be sure to check out other hot pink projects this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

7 comments:

LA Paylor said...

isn't that always the question. I mean, on one hand it's a bargain. On the other hand, where will you put it!??
(get some anyway)
LeeAnna
aider and abetter

The Joyful Quilter said...

BRIGHT PINK sounds like a great choice for the Twinkler binding and Aqua Land is a BEAUTIFUL place to be! Regarding your Buy/No Buy dilemma, choose wisely, my friend. Consider your needs, your budget, and your storage capacity... Then wait or the Sale percentage to go to 40 or 50% off!! Or NOT!!! LOL

gayle said...

I had a local-ish quilt store go out of business this past spring. I waited too long before taking advantage of the markdowns - by the time I got there for the 50% off sale, there were only four bolts of fabric left, all ugly. *sigh*
My theory is that fabric never goes bad, and will only get more expensive as years go by. So, a binful of fabric is a better return on your investment than putting the money in a savings account. That's my story, anyway...

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a neat layout for your aqua baby quilt! I love the lights and darks laid out like that!

Angie said...

Looking forward to seeing the Twinkler results! Another inspired idea for a baby quilt - it's going to be wonderful! As for the shopping - you should at least check out the sale. You might at least be able to stock up on some big fabric chunks for backings.

Quiltdivajulie said...

As far as the localish quilt shop, buy items that you know are in your wheelhouse that you will absolutely use/love (for me that is good blenders and warm neutrals). Skip the novelties and the fabrics my friend Lynne call "those who can't tell what color they really are" (i.e. huge multi color florals).

Kate said...

Looking forward to seeing how your Twinkle Stars came out. The aqua baby quilt is very pretty, love the color gradation in that project. If you have holes in your stash and the fabric is on sale, I'd fill in those gaps. You've been using up a lot of your older fabrics in your UFOs, a stash refresh can be a good thing.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...