Saturday, September 24, 2016

Keep On Keepin' On

The giant quilt is quilted!  I always love removing the last pin from the quilt with the last stitching line.  Since I only stitched diagonally in one direction, this quilt really moved along nicely.  I used a "new to me" tool to mark the lines, and it worked great!  I've read regularly of quilters using a Hera marker, and it seemed to be just the thing for this quilt.  However, I don't need more gadgets, so I looked around the house to see what I could use instead.  I decided to try our plastic pizza cutter, and it was perfect!  Lines marked, no chalk or ink, and off we go.

Even better, because the quilting went so quickly, I was able to stitch down the binding and check this large, long-promised project off my list.  I'm glad my mom is patient, as it's taken at least two years for this quilt to work its way up the list.  I love the extra-wide backing, as the lack of seam and lack of piecing was much quicker.  I opted for a mottled dark grey for the binding, and even if it's not a solid, I think it works.

My one Odd Fellows subcomponent is done (33 batches of 8) but not get ironed.  It's been too hot and too humid for me to turn on the iron for long.  Next will be the remaining component, which I hope to finish in October.

The teacher quilt (all stash and scraps), is in the assembly progress.  I've webbed one half and laid out the second.  Niggling in the back of my mind is the need to plan one more teacher quilt.  I have a focal fabric and a few solids pulled, but that's as far as I've gotten.


Four lonely little Bits and Bobs were stitched up this week.  My quilting and long strings of triangles weren't particularly conducive to leaders and enders, but I think next month will be better for that.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

12 comments:

LA Paylor said...

you're teasing us!
Great save using the pizza cutter.
LeeAnna

Nell's Quilts said...

Oh, I was hoping to see pictures of all this great work.

Cathy said...

Well, it sounds like you have accomplished quite a bit. We’ll look forward to some pictures and cross our fingers for more enjoyable weather for you!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love my Hera marker for quilting, but what a great alternative idea! Sounds you have really been busy!

Deb A said...

I don't know how you get so much done with the house, kids and growing another little one and still find time to sew. Great job and looking forward to seeing the pictures later.

Libby in TN said...

When you said pizza cutter I wanted to scream "NOOOO!" But then I saw it is plastic. I don't have a hera marker either so I think I used something like a pointed skewer on my last project.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'll be looking forward to seeing the pictures that go along with this week's (LENGTHY) list of accomplishments!!

Angie said...

Love the idea of a pizza cutter for marking the quilt! I will have to try it!

Kate said...

Sounds like you had a very productive week. I'm looking forward to seeing your Mother's quilt all finished up.

Sheila said...

Congratulations on a beautiful Finish! Wonderful cuddle quilt : )

Vicki W said...

I love the yellow and gray!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Yellow and gray isn't a color combo that I normally choose. That being said...
I love, Love, LOVE the way your mother's quilt turned out!! I know that she will love it, too.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...