Saturday, September 3, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Off Color Problems

Alas, I have no plans for a rose bouquet with a touch of gold this month.  No pink, no red, no following directions.

Instead, I've got a few quilts to finish.  See, there's only 15 weeks left until my due date (and 16, incidentally, until Christmas), so I shouldn't be starting new projects.  (Insert sad face here!)

I began the week with tackling the scrap bucket.  Since all the bits I'd hoarded while I was making the appliqué blocks were now free, I had my work cut out for me.  Fortunately, these glorious piles of usable bits were the result.  They are now safely tucked away in their bins and bags, ready for next year!
I basted and began marking the applique quilt.  It does have a lovely garnet backing, which may be my claim to following the rules this month!  I'll be doing a simple cross hatch, which will be more time-consuming than a meander, but will secure all my pieces.  Quilting begins next week, and I've chosen a lovely pale green.  Please don't tell me if you think that's a terrible choice.

My mom's quilt, which provided a stash-busting and scrap-creating project for the past month, will reach flimsy stage next week, barring crisis.  I have three quadrants pieced, the fourth laid out, but JoJo pulled down blocks so I'll need to resort.  Oh, well.

Finally, I set my goals for the month and realized I needed some serious focus to accomplish them all.  I spent a little time breaking down tasks and which week they need to be done.  One of the major, tedious tasks is to cut the remaining 33 blocks for the scrappy Odd Fellows blocks, as this quilt needs to be done by Christmas.  I've already cut the pieces for 20 more blocks, and hope to finish cutting the rest next week.  Then, the insane triangle piecing and trimming marathon will begin.

My computer is not here yet, since our UPS man doesn't believe in ringing the door bell, but slapping up a notice and running away.  I think he must be afraid of our dog, which is hilarious since she begs for petting and never jumps, even if she is large.  Hopefully, Tuesday.  Until then, I'm sewing up a storm!

Be sure to check out the projects done in the proper colors this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

9 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

Sounds like you have a good plan. I will be hard pressed to find those fabrics as well. Like you, I have been doing some catching up on other projects. I am looking forward to seeing what you get accomplished in September.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I did a bunch of scrap sorting last winter, and now I need to do it again. Good for you for not putting it off! It sounds like you are very organized and know what you need to get done with the baby coming.

make.share.give said...

Busy busy! I think green is an excellent choice.

PaulaB quilts said...

I wish you well in getting your lists done and I pray your health will remain well also.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am going with reds for the projects that need blocks but otherwise I remain on course with last month's goal to focus on finishing and moving projects to the next stage. Good luck with your well thought out plans!

Deb A said...

Love that you have taken stock and made a plan. I hope you are successful in getting what you'd like done before baby and Christmas. Hopefully JoJo will not want to help out too much with your tasks this month.

gayle said...

I hope all your plans run smoothly! Good luck!

scraphappy said...

Good luck with your finishing of projects. Now is a great time to start with crossing things off the list before the year ends and it is time to start new thing again.

Kate said...

I hate UPS most of the time. Since none of us are home when they come by, we usually end up having to drive to Tulsa to get our packages. If you've got a strategy, that goes a long way towards helping you get things done. Good luck!

Stash Report Week #18 and 15 Minutes

 I missed a day on my hexagons!  For the first time in almost 18 months, I missed a day.  I stitched extra yesterday, so it will all be fine...