Saturday, February 24, 2018

Finished Quilt: Tell Colette I Love Her

My Ohio star quilt, inspired by this one by Red Pepper Quilts, is finished!  It finished roughly 60" x 84".

One of my nieces, who is also my goddaughter, is getting ready to move into a big girl bed and so needs a bigger "Aunt Kakie" quilt.  She loves red, I don't, and a bit of shopping was necessary.  In last summer's "I Didn't Go to Ireland" binge, I included a number of reds, primarily for a green and red Christmas quilt, but also to please Miss C.  One of my purchases was a fat quarter collection of reds, something I rarely do.  The large prints were great for the solid red squares in this quilt.

The backing is also from that purchase, shown in the top picture, the reddish brown batik.  I soaked it before quilting, which was good, as it was a bleeding mess.  After finishing, I soaked the quilt again, and some of the reds bled.  Now, since I used Vicki Welsh's soaking method, I wasn't too worried.  Unfortunately for me, one tan fabric sucked up some of the dye and wouldn't let it go.  Fortunately, the pieces are evenly dyed, not with discolored patches, but I will be giving any remains of this fabric a fast track to the garbage.  It has been nothing but a headache.

Miss C's birthday is this weekend, and my mom left to visit her in between our ice storms, so I made the self-imposed deadline quite nicely!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Very pretty! Red and neutrals are such a pretty color combo. Congrats on getting done on time, that's a challenge in itself.

Alzbeta Volk said...

She loves it and has slept happily underneath it every night since she got it! ❤️

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...