Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Living Deliberately

I woke this morning to 2" of snow, with more falling. The weather said it would be a dusting. Dusting? The Assistant is begging to play in it, but it is too cold for Screamer, who would freeze in 2 minutes flat. We'll wait until Screamer's naptime, although that seems an eternity to the Assistant.

I have been debating whether or not to stay at my job. It is terribly difficult for me to work 15-20 hours a week with my girls. I could find a sitter (maybe), but that's not what I want to do... or I don't work and we lose 1/3 of our income for next year. I really enjoy working for the Church (most of the time - there are aspects of my job that pain me), but I don't know if that's better than raising my girls. It's not bad to be poorer.

Besides, DH and I have been talking about materialism, money, living simply, and what we want to teach our girls. Is it better to work when we would need another car (we only have one, and this winter, that is proving to be a challenge), spend more money on eating out because I don't have time to cook or just am too tired? Plus, by next year, I may get pregnant again - if it is God's will.

These last few weeks I have been trying to slow down and enjoy time with the Assistant and Screamer. Last week, I didn't touch the sewing machine until Saturday night. The Assistant thought I must have gone crazy. Who doesn't "nini" everyday?

I am so blessed to have such amazing girls. The Assistant is a drama queen, but she is so helpful and funny - and gosh darn cute! Screamer is her own brand of mischievousness. I can't wait to see what happens when she gets older! And DH, of course, is fabulous.

So I'm going to live deliberately in the moment instead of zoning out with junk and unimportant things. Speaking of which, Screamer says it's time to go.

2 comments:

sewkalico said...

Life changes with kids and you have to reassess values... I am in the same boat as you. I want to work to have adult company and the money, but I don't want to miss my boys growing up... Swings and roundabouts and each course has it's own advantages and disadvantages. I hope that you will make the decision that's right for you and your family :-)

Christopher Lewis said...

Those kids are beautiful. You and my brother do a great job raising them.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...