Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Pictures!


The Life and Times of...

DH uploaded my picture for me, albeit sideways, so here is my adaptation of Judy's scrappy stars! I'll be taking it to Memaw, DH's grandmother who recently had surgery. I definitely feel for her after my own surgery! This is not in my usual range of color choices, and some of the contrast is pretty low, but I think it really works out. I wasn't sure as I was piecing some of the stars together - I realized how many of my "neutrals" were much darker than others, and some not particularly neutral at all. Still, I am glad to have used most of a tub of patrioc star prints that I wasn't wanting around anymore, and Memaw, I hope, will appreciate it, as my FiL, her son, is retired military. I machine quilted it, which went much better with the cotton batting than it did when I used to use only polyester (how little I knew then!). I'm still not thrilled with my straight-line quilting, but I think I need a different machine to quilt well. Both of my machines require a plate over the feed dogs, and that just seems to drag the fabric horribly. That's okay - I don't have the money for another machine, so I'll make do, and I do prefer hand-quilting!

I may also be delivering my T-shirt quilt, if DH's takes care of the contacting of his cousin.

I will be delivering an apron as a gift to BiL's girl (DH's brother, not my sick BiL).

The garden is growing! Our yard is not. In the L-shaped bed (in the back), there are peas, onions, tomatoes, spinach, and mesclun (sp?) growning. Maybe a tomatillo or two, but I don't remember. I started all the tomatoes from seed this year, and I'm pretty chuffed, as last year I didn't have a single seedling survive my attempts.

The next bed is mostly empty, so it's hard to tell it's there, but it contains horseradish, garlich, and failed attempts at cabbage, broccoli, and carrots.

There is an entire bed of potatoes and onions, doing well, although I fear we have potato beetles. We will have to do something about that! Finally, the front bed is red beans and pinto beans, with some turnips on one side. Our rain barrels (on the left) are nearly empty, so I'm hoping for rain while we are gone!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

2 comments:

sewkalico said...

Sorry it's taken me so long to catch up. DH has been hogging my computer after his was lifted... say no more :-D
Great stars!! And I am so envious of your veg garden, I am just not sure my fingers will ever be green enough!!

Lori in South Dakota said...

You're being very productive! How many different things did you plant? Me, I do tomatoes, summer squash, pumpkin. My dad does the cucumbers. That's it. If we have sweet corn, it grows in the field!

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...