Thursday, October 14, 2010

Christmas Gifts

Judy asked what we make for handmade Christmas gifts.  This year, for me, it's crocheted scarves and wash rags.

How do I make them?  Usually, for scarves, I flip through a book of easy patterns and pick a pretty one.  There's one called "bushy stitch," that my husband (who need a new scarf almost every year, as he loses his) is particularly fond of.  I've used the book 63 Easy-to-Crochet pattern stitches, and instead of ending the square at 7", I just keep going until my scarf is as long as the intended owner is tall.  My husband likes his scarves that long (for him, that's about 6 feet), so that's how long I make'em.  Sugar'n Cream had an easy granny square pattern for a beginner.

For dish rags, I use a variety of patterns with the Sugar'n Cream yarn.  Here's an easy pattern.  I usually use a single multi-colored yarn, but you can use two colors like this one.

Once upon a time, a family we knew used to make cookie platters.  They were amazing - they'd make a batches of 10 or so different cookies, then make up lots of plates, so you'd get a plate with two of 10 different cookies.  Yummy!  I haven't done this lately, so no links, but you could do: snickerdoodles, chocolate chip cookies, divinity, thumbprint cookies, snowballs, rice krispie treats... Google the names of your favorite cookies, and you will come up with some awesome recipes!

Check out other ideas on Judy's blog!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

1 comment:

jayayceeblog said...

I absolutely love making and giving knitted and crocheted cotton dishrags. And everyone seems to love getting them!

Stash Report Week #18 and 15 Minutes

 I missed a day on my hexagons!  For the first time in almost 18 months, I missed a day.  I stitched extra yesterday, so it will all be fine...