Saturday, May 4, 2013

Blue Moon

Blue, blue, blue...  All my lovely blue scraps.
In reviewing both my stash and scraps, I have overkill in DARK blue scraps, a fair number of lights, and next-to-no mediums.

In order to save myself from last month's agony, I cut the scrappy backing for my Simply Woven blocks first, rather than last.  I chose some of my favorite blue star fabrics (my star and snowflake fabrics are kept in a separate hoard from the rest of my stash) and cut my squares.  Then, I had a pile of blue scraps to chop into 2" squares for a blue Irish Chain (also from Bonnie Hunter).  Since Spring Green, last month's scrappy green quilt, is for one of my nieces who has a sister, I'd better make a quilt for her sister too!

While cutting and planning over the last few months, I've come to the conclusion that it's very difficult for me to use 1" scraps, particularly 1" squares.  I'm not accurate when sewing them together, they tend to distort in sewing and pressing, and have so many seams that they become stiff.  (Now, if you are a 1" keeper and have no issues, good for you!  I have issues, and they're probably my fault.  I'm okay with that). Therefore, I'm not going to cut 1" squares anymore.  If that's all I can get out of a piece of fabric, it's done.  1.5" squares are fine, and I think 1" strips that are at least 5" long will be the narrowest bits I'll keep.

What's the smallest piece of fabric you keep?

800+ 2" squares that, no matter how I photograph them, are dark!  I need to work on purchasing medium blues when I buy blue!

I've cut 32 spools from my 1.5" scraps for use as my in-between quilt.  I already have close to 50 in blue, but since my design wall is in use for my scraps to treasures challenge quilt, I'm not sure I'll be able to post all my spools together at the end of the month.

My 2.5" pieces are being cut into squares and bricks for my daughters to use this summer.  They've been begging to learn to sew, and the Assistant even received a new sewing maching for her birthday, but we've had to many issues with scissors for me to feel comfortable having them cut out all the pieces.  Cutting from all my scraps should give the, a nice wide variety.

Off to sew down a binding on Simply Green!

from the room of Zana's Ninis
katie z.

7 comments:

Cathy said...

If the scrap is too small to go under the sewing machine needle I throw it in my "mulch bin" and use them as mulch in the garden. I think the 1 inch pieces would go into my mulch bin unless they were long strings.

Julierose said...

The smallest I keep are 1 1/2 " squares and/or strips...I think trying to find just bright blues is a tough assignment this month...too many shades...Julierose

Deb A said...

I think it depends on my mood! Some days I keep the 1 inch bits and others I toss them right into the trash. Parts of triangles I keep for an eventual maverick stars quilt. How old are your LO's that will be learning to sew this summer? I have a 5 and 4 year old that I just let play with the fabrics and design. I think they need a couple more years before they sew.

Kate said...

Love all your dark blues. I tend to have too many mediums.

The smallest I keep is 1.5". A

scraphappy said...

I do keep 1 inch strips, but only because I am using them right now to make nine patches. I try not to keep squares of 1.5 inches either, as I find them easier to work with in strips. Great work on taming your blue bin. Looks like you will have plenty of ready made bits for all your budding quilters.

Angie said...

I like your rationale for not using 1" squares - they are difficult to sew accurately and press without distorting. That being said, I do use that size and smaller for wonky log cabin blocks and crumb piecing. I have to be in the right mood to fuss with it, though! Good luck with adding some medium blues to your palette - it might involve a shopping trip - oh my!

Sheila said...

Totally understand what you are saying. I keep nothing smaller than 1" and then it must be a strip and really pretty fabric. I prefer 1.5" or larger strips. Scraps smaller thank 1.5" go in the trash unless they are really pretty. They go into crumb blocks.

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...