Monday, February 9, 2015

Finished: January at the Beach

While JoJo reveled in the unseasonably warm temperatures yesterday, I brought out my binding and finished this lovely little lap quilt.
Adapted from AmandaJean's directions for a zig zag quilt, I used 2.5" x 4.5" bricks cut from my scraps to whip up this little quilt.  My original intent had been to create a white and turquoise quilt, but I couldn't help but pull in the lime as well.  It wasn't until I laid out the bricks that I discovered some of my white fabric glows in the dark!

Before quilting, I was concerned the lime and turquoise blended too much, but I was encouraged by everyone's feedback that it looked happy.  After all, we don't need high contrast in every quilt, do we?  After plenty of stitch-in-the-ditch quilting, I think the definition of the different colors improved.

I quilted loops along each zigzag and was only temporarily stymied by discovering I have used up every single spool of white thread I ever owned.  In a bag of thread I inherited from DH's grandmother, I finally uncovered a spool of white thread.  It was polyester, and I usually use cotton, but mostly out of convenience.  It looks lovely and no one will ever care.

This takes care of one more of the three zig zag quilts I cooked up at the end of last year.  The last one will be blue, brown, grey, and black on cream.  It won't be a zigzag after all, but I look forward to coming up with a different way to use my sewn up patches.

At the current time, this quilt will be kept in reserve.  I often have an intended quilt recipient before a quilt is finished, but this one still is searching out a home.  I figure, if nothing else, I'll keep it for next year's teacher gifts.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

5 comments:

Mlada said...

Have you made a quilt for Sarah's new babies? I bet she would love one.

Vicki W said...

Cute quilt!

Alzbeta said...

ooo, I really like the combo - I don't think they blend together too much at all. It's a really fun design, too!

Kate said...

The colors work together really well. Beautifully done!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I love this color combo! You have created a beautiful quilt.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...