Saturday, July 25, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Scrap Explosion

Whew!  This was some kind of week, my friends.

The Rainbow Star is complete, down to the washing.  You might notice some light purple squares in the background.  Something bled, and only one white fabric picked up the loose dye.  Where is all this dye coming from?  (You might remember that I just had black fabric bleed.)  All the fabric on the front was prewashed.  Oh, well.  It works this time, and I love the quilting.  It finished at 40" square, and I'll be donating it to a fundraiser this fall.  Did I mention I love it?  I kinda want to keep it for myself, but since almost all of the colored squares were from a charity challenge initially, I feel it would be most appropriate to give it away.

Spunky and I also whipped out a cute little baby quilt from a found stack of scraps.  They were cut in 4" and 2 1/4" scraps, which don't play nicely with any of my other scraps.  We added grey, she matched things up and laid out the blocks, and here we go!  This quilt is about 33" x 36".  I forgot to take a shot of the backing, which is a lovely pink and grey floral.

Finally, in the red arena, I finished 31 Bits and Bobs blocks, with only one triangle turned wrong.  When I worked in green, I remember ripping out several!  I have oodles of scraps in the solid maroon and was recently lamenting how much there was (and how long it would take to use it up).

My mom came to the rescue on that one.  She requested a "woodsy" quolt for my grandpa for Christmas.  I pulled scraps and stash for my options, and Mom approved, so bye-bye maroon!

Unfortunately, JoJo only slept from 12-3:30 am, so I'm a bit tired.

Be sure to check out oodles and oodles of red scraps this Saturday!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

16 comments:

Karen said...

Very pretty rainbow star. It will be loved. You have made lots of lovely blocks.

Edith said...

Absolutely love your Rainbow Star, and I like the soft purple scattered through the background. I hope you might be able to catch a little nap today, by time I had my third I came to the conclusion that sleep is highly over-rated.

Vicki W said...

I can't figure out why but some commercial fabrics attract loose dye. I've had it happen to me and I saw it happened to someone else on their blog today. You might be able to soak most of that out. But in this case it's kind of a nice effect!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I just LOVE that you and Spunky are collaborating on quilts!! Nice work, you two!

scraphappy said...

The star is stunning! It must be hard to give that one up. Love the red bits and bobs. Slowly but surely you are collecting enough for a quilt.

Nell's Quilts said...

The rainbow star finished up so nicely. The little surprise purples work with the rest. Great little collaborative quilt.

gayle said...

The scattered bits of soft purple in the Rainbow Star background look purposeful and beautiful, so don't worry about it. It's a feature, not a drawback...
I love your bits and bobs!

Angie said...

Love how the Rainbow Star turned out! The fact that the color bleed was only picked up in certain blocks makes it look like a "design element". The effect is lovely!

make.share.give said...

I think the lavender squares are an extra treat and that border is amazing!

LA Paylor said...

you have a good heart and a good eye for color
LeeAnna

Julie in GA said...

I love how your Rainbow Star turned out, and the lavender background areas don't take away from the beauty of the quilt at all.

Sheila said...

Congratulations on a beautiful STAR finish. Personally, I don't fret over a bit of fabric color bleed. I find I'm the only one that see it!
Sweet baby quilt. Everything. How more sleep is in your family's future.

Dasha said...

I am in love with your Rainbow Star. I have loved every single photo you have shown of it, and the finished product is wonderful. You've also done a great job on the red scrappy blocks. Hope JoJo sleeps a little better this week for you. Is she teething?

Magpie Sue said...

Your rainbow star quilt is gorgeous. Anyone would love it; I can appreciate how hard it might be to part with. Good progress with the scraps too!

Cathy said...

That star is a star! And I just love your Bits and Bobs.

Kate said...

That Rainbow Star quilt definitely has a lot of "WOW" factor in it, even with the color bleed. You've made good progress on your other projects too. That baby quilt is very cute.

Hope JJ is sleeptng better now.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...