Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Mid Year Review

I made too many plans for my scraps this year, but it would appear they are playing out well this year.

My first was to make an "Omigosh"-ish quilt.  I've done away with the four-patches as the triangles would have been the death of me.  Clearly, I need to make more nine-patches, but I'm moving along steadily with this project each month.  I have far more blue than any other color, but since that's the status of my stash and scraps, I won't be doing much to change that.
My second project involves triangles.  I have an old zipper bag, like pillow cases come in, stuffed to the gills with triangles.  As you might know, if you're a long-time reader, triangles are not my favorite, despite my love for stars.  So the bag sat and sat and I couldn't throw it away.  This year, it will be empty (I only have orange and brown triangles left), and I will have a quilt done in the vein of AmandaJean's "Up, up and away." I have oodles of red triangles, so this month will see a nice additon  to these blocks.
My 1.5" strips and squares filled their tub, so I hatched a plan to make 16-patches.  Orignally, I intended to use light values as my background, but too many colors were too slim to make that work. Thus, the blues are a bit muddy.  This picture makes me happy, happy, happy!  I sometimes create without really knowing how it will look, and so it was with this quilt.  It's turning out great!  I'm over halfway done with the number of blocks I need (350), and at the end of the year I may need to revisit a few colors and see if I've created any more scraps in those colors.

I had a queen size Carrie Nation quilt planned as a wedding gift for late June, but when I hatched the plan to include some quilting lessons for the recipient, we made this quilt move along significantly faster.  As a result, I used up plenty of rainbow scraps, but not in the usual monthly order.

Another bag of scraps that was lurking in my sewing table contained leftovers from charity quilt challenges.  I wanted the bag empty but felt that the scraps should be used for another charity quilt. The Rainbow Star was born.  The colored scraps are all from the bag, but I did add plenty of background from my stash.  I'm hand-quilting this beauty and plan to be done by the end of the month.

One plan that fizzled out involved my 2.5"  scraps.  I had thought to cut bricks from each color and make zigzag quilts, but I had so many blues that I made three quilts and decided I really didn't want to make that many of the same quilt (boring!), so I finished the last quilt in June and will find something else for next year.  (One, two, and three!)

Along the way, I had some quilts whose colors coordinated with the scrap color for the month.  One was another Carrie Nation quilt in yellow, blue, and green.  Pushing myself to keep up with the color of the month spurred me to finish this one in time for my niece's visit.

Another month, I pulled purples (and coordinating prints) to finish this quilt for my mother-in-law.  I hesitated to cut into the large print, but the monthly deadline again kept me from stalling any longer.

Finally, during the blue month, I started a quilt for my brother.  The strip sets are sewn and subcut, awaiting pinning and sewing in free moments.

If you've hesitated to join the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, please join in!  I enjoy my Saturdays, browsing through all the color-coordinated inspiration.  Doing so both gives me new ideas and also allows me to enjoy projects I have pondered making, but decide not to after watching a project come together.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

14 comments:

Deb A said...

I just love that scrappy star. Beautiful. I am always amazed at all you get done with all the littles underfoot and everything else you are doing (farming, gardening, normal house things, etc.)

gayle said...

I love all blocks itty bitty, so your work always makes me smile!
Fabulous quilts!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow! Month by month certainly didn't give the BIG picture of all you've gotten done. Those are some FABULOUS projects and I'll be looking forward to seeing them grow as the weeks tick by!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Happy to read that others are abandoning projects and picking up others . . . glad I'm not the only one. You have some great projects (current and completed) - especially like those tiny triangle blocks.

Marly said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful collection of tiny scraps becoming big quilts. They're all going to be beautiful.

LA Paylor said...

zowie! These projects are great, and if you take a break from one, there's always another waiting quietly for you. LeeAnna

Angie said...

Oh my goodness - so much wonderful scrappiness! The scrappy star is amazing - it really twinkles!

Mystic Quilter said...

What a collection of Rainbow projects - my favourite is the last photo of your beautiful Star.

scraphappy said...

You have gotten so much done with your scraps! The giant star is really spectacular, but I just love the bitty bitty omigosh ish blocks too. It is amazing how much you have already gotten done.

Jennifer said...

what a great line-up of quilts! I especially like the 16 patches...

Sheila said...

Wow! Love all your blocks! I'm looking forward to seeing all your quilts come together.

Cathy said...

I can't pick a fav. I'm inspired by them all. I see you are moving right along with the hand quilting.

Dasha said...

Oh my goodness! What an awesome bunch of projects. You've done so much it's taken my breath away.

Kate said...

Lots of rainbows in your sewing room. Great way to use up those scraps.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...