Saturday, May 23, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Carrie Nation in Shades

It might look like I missed the boat on green this week, but I am quite sure this should count... the background is a luscious pale green.  I'm plugging away at my Bits and Bobs, but I have a pile of ironing to do before they are picture-worthy.
I worked on this quilt during the yellow month as well, and would have worked on it in a blue month if I hadn't finished it this week!

Part of me had thought I was done with Carrie Nation blocks as this is my third quilt, but seeing this quilt complete makes me waver in my resolution.  I might need a quilt like this, in different colors, for myself.  (This one is for my niece.)

The top is entirely hand dyed fabric from Vicki Welsh.  If you don't own any, please buy some!  I used two half yard shade packs, Indra and Sunset, and 3 1/2 yards of a beautiful pale green (also by Vicki... we had to work out that one, so I don't know what it's a part of).  I had just a smidge left of green, almost none of the yellows (one even ran out, and you can see where I had to substitute a few squares), and enough blue to make a shaded binding.

Now the leftovers are tucked into their scrap boxes, and I have to wash this quilt before my niece arrives this afternoon and needs a place to sleep!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

P.S.  See more and greener projects this Saturday!

13 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good luck with the ironing (my least favorite chore).

Sheila said...

It's a beautiful quilt. Your niece will love it.

LA Paylor said...

you've tucked leftovers already?? Come visit my nest and help me sort my leftovers into their homes, won't you? LeeAnna

PaulaB quilts said...

Lucky niece to receive such a lovely quilt. You did some very fine work there!

scraphappy said...

Vicki does make the prettiest colors. So glad you were able to finish it up.

Scrappy quilter said...

That turned out so nice. Love the colors in it.

Jennifer said...

wow! that's a stunning quilt. great job!

Julianne said...

Your niece is going to love it!

Nell's Quilts said...

Beautiful Carrie Nation quilt. The hand dyed Vickie Welsh fabrics look sooo good.

Vicki W said...

It's spectacular! Be sure to put it in the customer gallery the next time you "need" fabric so you can get a discount!

Kate said...

Wow! It looks like rays of the sun, all bright and shining. Beautifully done!

Deb A said...

Wow! What a great quilt. You have one very lucky niece.

SueR said...

This quilt is absolutely gorgeous!

Plugging Away

Somehow I spent most of this week thinking it was the last week in March.  I’m glad I have another week! I have plenty of purple still to se...