Saturday, September 5, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Puny Orange

A paltry handful of triangles doesn't add up to much, does it?  Maybe when brown comes around, I'll use up more of these triangles.

Lest you think I sewed all week only to yield two blocks, I'll tell you what else I did.  None of it was orange.

My scrappy Irish Chain, loosely following Bonnie Hunter's directions, is officially a top!  Due to the nature of the recipient, I've ordered a king size batting to avoid piecing and also ordered backing fabric, which I will have to piece but will be one color.  The Assistant helped all the way to the end, matching up blocks for me to pin.  We will ended up with plenty of the same fabric next to itself, but I think it's lovely.  I'm excited/nervous to quilt it next.

Also, I've begun quilting my Scraps to Treasures quilt.  Argh.  That's enough about that wad of frustration.

A finish that had been absent from all my goals wrapped up this week.  Eventually, I will make one stocking for each of the family, but this is a fun, when there's time type of sewing project.  I take this with me in the car and to therapy.  It's been relaxing, even if it's not very good.  My handwork has now shifted to scrappy appliqué for a quilt for my grandfather.  It's going to be a big quilt, so I'd better get moving!

I also constructed a small diaper clutch from my favorite scraps.  It's smaller than the last one, so it's a tight fit for the diapers, but it's helping my purse/diaper bag stay tidier.

Yellow for my sister, blue for me!
Next week, in between quilting the frustration quilt, I'll be working on my 16-patches.  I was able to cut 19.

JoJo slept through the night two days in a row, so I've gotten more sleep.  He has lots of new sounds-that-are-almost-words, which is great.  We're also doing lots of outside weeding, but the 96 degree days are kicking my itchy skin!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

12 comments:

Julierose said...

such cute little orange blocks--they must be "Clementines" lol hugs, Julierose

Nell's Quilts said...

That boot is just stunning - can you say that about a cowboy boot. Your grandfather is sure to just love that one. Glad to hear you got two solid night of sleep and that JoJo is beginning to make sounds. The therapy sessions must be working. What a great way to use up even the tiniest scrap with a little triangle in the corner of a white square.

Kate said...

Your orange triangles look great, even if there aren't many. Love that boot! That's a fun stocking.

Glad that JoJo is making progress. I'll keep you all in my prayers.

Cathy said...

Lots of accomplishments all around!

Marly said...

With such a busy life I'm amazed you get so much done. You boot is amazing. Great fun to make one for everyone.

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

I am laughing at Julierose's "Clementines" comment! :)

gayle said...

Julierose's "Clementines" comment cracked me up, too!
Good luck with getting-more-sleep. I'll be hoping for you.

scraphappy said...

So glad you were able to get some sleep. It makes all the difference.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Puny orange aside, CONGRATS! on a couple of full nights of sleep back to back. Way to go, JoJo!!!

PaulaB quilts said...

What a blessing sleep is. We don't realize it until we need it so much. Glad for you and Jo Jo. No orange can ever be puny. It pushes its of into your vision and says, Here I am!

Magpie Sue said...

Congratulations on the extra sleep! And hurray for the the Irish Chain top completion! I agree with everyone else, your cowboy boot is terrific.

Sheila said...

I'm so happy to hear about JoJo's progress. You have been on my mind, dear.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...