Saturday, September 12, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: This Season

JoJo had five great nights of sleep and several more good nights, but Friday was up at 3:30 am. Pair that with an unrelated long week, and this mama is tired.

I think I sewed.  I cut almost all of my hoarded teal scraps as well as 2.5" aqua scraps into squares for a backing. Yes, I cut 900 2.5" squares.  Yes, for a backing.  Yes, I've taken leave of my senses.  They'll be a backing for my long-neglected hand pieced hexagon quilt.  It's time to finish that UFO, so I sorted it out on my design wall and am organizing what I still need to piece.  I had abandoned it when it became too unwieldy to carry in my bag, but with a plan I'll piece a few smaller sections and have a good roadmap. Of course, I have some other, more urgent hand sewing to finish first.
No hexagons were pieced this week, so don't be too impressed.
Two of my six appliqué blocks for my grandpa's quilt are complete minus trimming.  I sketched out a plan for framing them and hope to have this section of the quilt done by the end of September.

My Scraps to Treasures quilt is slowly being quilted.  I had some problems with the first section and spent significant time and mental energy ripping out stitches.  Ugh.

Orange.  Say what?  Orange?  Yes, I worked in my 16-patches, but they aren't done.  Maybe next week.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

10 comments:

Nell's Quilts said...

When it's hand pieced it needs a special backing. This quilt will truly be a labour of love but may be difficult to quilt with all the seams both front and back. There will be some sore fingers before this is all done.

Kathy's A Quilter said...

One stick at a time...remember it is not a race. This is a art and time meant to savoured.

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

oh look at all of those gorgeous hexies!

Kate said...

Looks like progress. Love the orange 16 patches, even though that are not finished.

gayle said...

With so many interesting projects to choose from, it must be hard to decide what to work on next!
I hope you get time for a nap now and then.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on 5 nights of good sleep for JoJo. Sorry that it didn't end up being the "new norm." Keep working away on your ORANGE blocks... in those random moments when energy and enthusiasm collide!

Jennifer said...

the backing will be great, and tots worth it in the end. right? right!

PaulaB quilts said...

You go, girl! You have some amazing plans, which is a blessing because you will not bored. God bless you

scraphappy said...

Urgent hand sewing sounds like a contradiction, but hopefully it will all get done. Enjoy the process! Sounds like a lot of squares for a back. I bet it is fabulous.

Sheila said...

Happy to hear you got some sleep, dear. Sounds like a lot more work planned on your quilt. It's going to awesome.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...