Saturday, September 19, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Whittling Down the Projects

Whew!  This week I finished my Scraps to Treasures quilt, which means I have one less project clamoring for attention.

I also sorted out my backing purchase from last week and wrestled with frustration that, because they ran out, I don't have enough fabric for two complete lengths of the fabric.  So below is my plan for a backing for the scrappy Irish Chain I need to baste and quilt next.
 My happy 16-patches are ready to go.  I have come to the conclusion that I won't reach my desire of 300 blocks by the end of the year, so I may need to ponder a border for these darlings.  I currently need 74, and without making this quilt even more predominately blue, I don't know how to eke out enough blocks.  Oh, well.  It will work out!
 I also managed to take a few precious scraps and make this bag:
 It fits inside a plastic basket I use for accumulating things that belong upstairs from the basement.  The basket had large holes, so little things fell out.  No little things will fall out, this will be easy to wash, and it's all from stash!
The outside is mostly this lovely blue fabric (I wish I had an entire bolt, but this is the end) and a fun splash of pink.  I'm not a pink girl, but I though this would be fun.  The bottom circles were cut from two fat quarters my lovely older sister has picked up for me in her travels.  I love gifted fabric.

Be sure to check out other fabulous orange projects this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

10 comments:

Marly said...

Your solution for the backing looks great:those colours play together beautifully, without competing for attention. That's a good idea, lining a basket to prevent the small things falling out, and and that nice collection of fabric will bring back memories every time you have to climb the basement stairs!

scraphappy said...

Congratulations on your finish. Always such a great feeling! Best of luck deciding how to finish the next quilt. Borders can be a good thing. Especially if it means using what you already have.

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

The blocks look happy indeed and what a great idea to make that bag!

Kate said...

The backing combo works well together, even though it's not what you had planned. Sometimes changing plans leads to a better plan, though it's really annoying till you get to that better plan. Good luck with the layout for the 16 patches.

Julierose said...

Such neat 16-patches...you have really done well..
I, on the other hand, haven't really gotten back into the swing of things RSC-wise...hugs, Julierose

LA Paylor said...

I like it all. The bucket is a work of art, useful and art. LeeAnna

The Joyful Quilter said...

You finished your Scraps to Treasures quilt this week and didn't share it with us?!?! I hope you'll show it to us next week and tell us what you figure out what to do about your 16-Patch quilt. Those ORANGE blocks rock!!!

PaulaB quilts said...

A nice orange choice for the backing. The squares look very good. Clever solution for the basket and something bright as well as useful.

Jennifer said...

looks great! I love your basket solution! I should do something like that- I have the same problem with the upstairs steps, and sometimes there is stuff lined up all the way upstairs! (or almost!) I have tons of 16 patches, too. can't believe how many I accumulated... I was planning on doing 2 quilts with them, though, and using one as a tablecloth for farmer's market- might draw more folks to my stand. you're butchering your turkeys early! we still have them, but it wll be 2 more months before it's their turn...

Magpie Sue said...

Those yellow and orange 9 patch blocks are so cheerful! I keep thinking I need to make a quilt in that palette. Great use of precious pieces to line the basket.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...