Saturday, March 12, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Amethyst and Iron (Take Two)

I do believe Amethyst and Iron will be the name of this quilt.  Despite illness (double ear infection, anyone?), busy schedules, a precocious JoJo, and family trauma (a family member walked away from a head-on car collision without injury, praise God), I managed to finish a quilt top as well as all the blocks for my challenge quilt this month!

First, I'm making another ABC quilt.  I tried glue basting my letters this time, then machine appliquéd them, and I love this method!  Prepping the letters for appliqué always holds me back from loving this quilt, but this time the process was great.  I have the backing ready and hope to baste in next week in between all the other spring break chaos at our house.

Once that obligation was done (deadlines drive me to work but don't give me much pleasure), I moved on to my nines and rails blocks.  I thoroughly enjoyed choosing what scraps would go in which block, and it wasn't until I hung all the finished blocks on the wall that I had any sense of the values I'd chosen.  The background fabric may be a little too colorful for this quilt, but I decided to embrace choices outside my comfort zone, and this fabric was one of those choices.  I'm currently plotting a piano key border for the outside, since I have oodles of purple scraps left.  I wonder what will happen next?
Be sure to check out other orchid and mulberry projects this week!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

18 comments:

Mari said...

What great quilts! I really love the nines and rails top. The background is great! And I really like the ABCs too. Glue basting sounds awesome.

Jennifer said...

your background choice- fantastic! the bars and squares seem to radiate outward! glad you got some sewing time this week- it's getting to be that time of year, isn't it?

LA Paylor said...

oh the throbbing pain of ear infections!
Can you hear me???
oh good!
Lovely work as usual... funny how we gotta sew like the mail carrier carries mail, neither snow, nor sleet.....
LeeAnna

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow, what a week!! LOVE the ABC quilt and the Nines and Rails gives me another idea for my Tiny Nines.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow, what a week!! LOVE the ABC quilt and the Nines and Rails gives me another idea for my Tiny Nines.

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOVE the nines and rails blocks and background -- happy stitching on that piano key border, too. Sending good wishes to all for healing and recovery.

Chantal said...

Where do you find the energy? Congrats on accomplishing so much. Wow!
I love your nines and rails quilt. In the picture, the background is absolutely beautiful for this quilt but I know that in real life it could be another story. I love it though and I think a piano key border would frame it beautifully. ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That nines and rails block is a really neat one! That is going to be a beautiful quilt!

Cathy said...

I love every single thing about your Nines and Rails blocks and quilts. The piano key border will be perfection! Your energy amazes me!

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

I love that nines and rail blocks quilt. So lovely! I'm glad your family member walked away from the accident OK!

gayle said...

Love the Nines and Rails - what size are your blocks?
I hope you and yours are all doing well now. (Ow, ear infections!)

Alison V. said...

Love all of your purple blocks! :)

Nell's Quilts said...

Your amethyst and iron blocks are so soft and pretty. The alphabet quilt turned out well. Glad you found a strategy that you like for getting those letters in place for stitching.

Cathy said...

I really think the background fabric was a great choice for those lovely blocks. On point they kind of look like snowflakes. I like this block. I have a lot of little 3 inch nine patches and could make a few rails to go with and have enough for a quilt in no time. Thanks for the inspiration!

Peggyinno said...

Awesome nines and rails! I like the background.

Angie said...

Cute alphabet quilt - your technique sounds like a great way to make life easier! The rails and nines looks great! Can't wait to see more.

Lisa said...

So pretty!

Kate said...

Wow, that is quite a week! So glad your family member wasn't hurt. Love the fabrics you've used in your Nines and Rail quilt. It's very pretty.

Stash Report Week #17 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report is boring: no changes.  I did start quilting my New York Beauty quilt today and finished piecing the box blocks, so I will...